Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying a Tristar sxs shotgun Spanish made (by Zabala I was told) . It is the new 28 gauge Brittany Classic model from Cabela's . It is suppose to be a Great gun . Comes with a single selective trigger , auto ejectors , color case finished receiver , lots of beautiful checkering and the fit and finish is excellent . I was told by one guy that quality and durability wise it is as good as a Ugartechea grd.1 but with way nicer finish and features . I know Zabala is certainly able to build very guns if they paid to . Is this a real sleeper or what ?? Please give me your feed back as I have the only one in 28 gauge that they have at my local Cabela's store on hold . Thank's!! Don

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had an American Arms Brittany, Tristar bought them out a few years ago. Same gun same manufacturer. There is no comparison between a Uggie, AyA, or similar Spanish manufacturers to Zabala. That is like comparing chicken salad to chicken poo. Although they can be a good starter SXS, they do not compare in fit and finish to the other Spanish Shotguns. My last AyA in 12 bore, with 28" chokes weighed about 6.5 lbs, handled great, and had the appropriate cast and toe for a right handed shooter, and most importantly a splinter style fore end. The Brittany will ge a good gun for a starter or a beater, it will not have any cast or toe out, may have screw in chokes, if they are fixed it doesn't matter what they are marked as they will pattern differently, typically much tighter. IMO they are priced so low because the quality is the same, whenever an American importer wants a low cost sxs from Spain it is typically a Zabala.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Forgot to mention but the single trigger to me is a deterant to getting the gun as most Spanish single triggers are notorious for problems, and it is difficult to find someone who can repair them. The selective safety/single trigger combo is good in theory but in practice I'll take double triggers any day. BTW I"m 38 grew up with pumps and semi auto's, never tried a double trigger until I bought a gun with them, a round of two of clays and you will not only be accustomed to them and using them without thought, but you will wonder why every double and o/u doesn't come with them. One other thing, the case hardening on the Zabalas are chemical not true bone case hardening. The chemical process is a lot cheaper, where as the Uggies are bone case hardened.

BTW looked up the Tristar website, and if you are paying anywhere near what the website records as retail price, you are way overpaying. I would not buy that gun for more that $600!!! If you are looking for a qualilty sxs for around 1000 bucks, and demand that it is new, then a Uggie is the way to go. I have no dog in this fight, but I would hate to see you pay extra for checkering/engraving, that doesn't add beans to the functionality of the gun. I would suggest taking a good look at the wood on that gun, I would suspect that the checkering/engraving is machine done, and that it has several flattened points, over-runs, etc. And I wouldn't be suprised if the wood checkering/engraving is actually pressed into the wood and lasered or pressed into the metal. BTW I have never seen what I would consider excellent checkering or excellent engraving on any of the guns I've owned including, AyA's, Uggies, Tristar, Berettas (highest grade owned Silver Pigeon II), Rizzinis, Remingtons, Arrizgaba (spelling is way off), Arrietta. I know for sure that none of the engraving I've had added anything to functionality The only checkering that had any true purpose was at the wrist of the gun. Checkered but plates look good, but slip like mad, and I prefered splinter forearms, so I held the barrels in my lead hand. I don't know if this is your first double barrel purchase, but there are some factors to a double that must be considered. Such as barrel regulating, in other words do both barrels have the same point of impact, or is the left barrel shooting way off (could be high, wide, or low) and this goes for any double regardless of configuration. Typically the lower priced guns have less hand work put into them, and you can't regulate barrels without hand work. My Tristar pattern was off, the right barrel shot to the right of aim and the left to the left. As it was my first sxs and I was dumber than dirt I thought it was normal! I hope I don't sound overly critical or a smart elec as that isn't my intention, I would just hate seeing you spend your money on a gun that honestly doesn't measure up to the sales pitch you were given. Or repeating the mistakes I made when I started delving into the sxs world. Good luck with your search for a sxs, IMO they are the sweetest handling, best shooting, best looking gun ever made. If it weren't for my injuries I would still have all of my SXS's, but it seems as though I'll be shooting auto-loaders from now on. :evil: Here is a link to a importer of Uggies if you are interested, btw I have no interest financial or otherwise concerning where you purchase your gun. http://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugartechea.htm

·
Registered
55 Posts
disabledcoastie said:
If you are looking for a qualilty sxs for around 1000 bucks, and demand that it is new, then a Uggie is the way to go.
disabledcoastie -

Thanks for the info . Curious though, have you seen Ugartecheas for $1000 or were you just "ballparking" it ? I've been looking and haven't even found one used for under $1000 and the new ones are $1300-$1400 , I believe. I'm in the market and would appreciate any dealers/sellers you could recommend . Thanks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the great info . After having gone and looked at the Tristar today I was really bummed out to see such piss poor Quality coming from any country or company for that matter . My old 1970's Zabala sxs's were of far better Quality than what I witnessed today. Fit and finish was horrible , big gaps between the wood and metal , the trigger guard was mounted listing off to one side . It truly was sad . I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE !! I just took delivery of my new Custom order Grd. IV Ugartechea and have several other SxS's but still need a 28 gauge and thought just maybe this might be one of those sleeper deals . I had intended to buy another Uggie in 28 ga. but my purchasing expiercence at Lion Country Supply left a lot to be desired and was not something that I was eager to go through again . I guess I'll just have to put the 28 on the back burner for a while. Thank again .

·
Registered
55 Posts
disablecoastie-

Thanks for the link . If that was a 20, I just might snap it up . It certainly is tempting, but I really want a 20 ( but would consider a 16) .

·
Registered
144 Posts
M,

sorry about the misinformation before, I was looking at one of my older LCS catalogues. If you are in a real hurry LCS will have the best prices on a new spanish double. If not, then spend some time checking out the following sites

www.gunbroker.com
www.auctionarms.com
www.gunsamerica.com

BTW I purchased a AyA 4 that I would rate at 98% + for $400 bucks of one of the above sites. This is a good time of the year to find one for an excellent price. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts