Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First gun, ribbed forearm, dial-a-duck, 85%, solid rib. SN 13791XX, 2 3/4 Winchester Proof Steel marked BBL (FULL)

Second gun, vent rib, fancier wood w/ nice checkering, monte carlo stock, plain rcvr, same bbl mark as above (FULL). As orriginal, SN 19491XX.

Both of these were dying gifts from my grandfather. I don't shoot the poly-choke equipped model any more - I don't want a chance of shooting it off. The lower one I shoot trap with. Both have put ducks in the pot for my family for a long time.

I'll never sell either gun, but I'd like to know the value for ins. purposes. The stock on the lower gun is really quite stunning. I don't have a finer stock on ANY of my newer guns. Any help identifying the years would be good, too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I was hoping someone more up to date on what Model 12's are doing would step up.... oh well if I'm off base they love correcting me ;)

The first one I believe to be Standard grade valued at about $330

The second one may very well be a trap model , atleast we'll value it as such ...
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$1,100 $850 $750 $650 $500 $435 $400

Add 50% for milled VR

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in a gun store's finer gun room and saw a pidgeon grade M12. My gun's wood -is- that nice, both in figure and checkering. No scroll work or fancy birds etc carved in, just nice checkering.

I always figured it was a trap model because vent ribs back then weren't quite as common as they are today. Lots more plain-bead shotguns were sold back then, and solid-rib guns were considered (at least by granddad) to be a 'target' feature! It's a vent rib, and it's fairly high in the back.

I've never shot over a gun that gave LESS trouble in full sunlight than it does. The back of the reciever has a parkerized (top) effect that disperses glare of any kind. I've shot trap with a lot of guns, this one's still my favorite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.