Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, last week I visited a friend that show me and old shotgun, the only identification i found was in the barrels and apparently shows " E. IGELMA " and other word that I can't read.
Can somebody help me to identify this weapon ?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You need the best photos possible if you want the group to provide the most accurate information. They typically show photos of the block, BBls at the receiver and any faint inscriptions. Sometimes they will highlight any writing with chalk or wax pencil.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing photos.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Take the barrels off the frame and turn them upside down. ON the flat area near the chambers you should see some markings. The's are proof symbols and possibly makers marks. They will help determine the country and possibly the maker. As Texas Yankee said, a pic of these close up, and a couple pics of the gun and we can probably get something. I'd love to see it and help some more.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi,
Can not tell you much about the gun. It is built on the Lefaucheux patent and was proofed either in Germany or Austria. If you 'google' for German Gun Proof marks you should find corresponding marks. The three initials on the barrel will certainly point to the barrel maker at least. I would try a site like Littlegun.be or simiiar and you might just strike lucky.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It was manufactured by Christian Friedrich Werner of Suhl, one of the best tube knitters, who was a hold over from the percussion era & expanded his talents to the new fangled semi-smokeless age.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ernst Heinrich Emil Barthelmes' Nr. 61 experienced proof in 1910 and so that's a data point. But w/ the antiquated Lefaucheux platform, I would have thought it to be much earlier. Either it was brought to some state of completion, say, in the white & it was set aside & then when Barthelmes needed to fill an order, possibly a specific order for a Lefaucheux type platform, he finished it between 1893 & 1912. If Barthelmes' serialization is sequential then it would have been completed between 1910 & 1912?

Cheers

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

Just to recap, Emil Barthelmes of Z-M was the prime contractor and the maker who sent the longarm to the Zella-Mehlis proof facility. Chr. Fred. Werner was a subcontractor who was the tubeset knitter and may have sent the individual tubes to the Z-M proof facility. The Kemeten Büchsenmacher was the firearms merchant who had a client place an order w/ him and he in turn placed an order w/ Emil Barthelmes and the process continued from there. Kemeten is a small city in Southeast Austria and as far as I can discern, there isn't any info on firearms merchants/gunmakers/retailers in Kemeten so this is new ground/info for me.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
All right, for those following along, we were chasing a red herring w/ the Austrian city of Kemeten. Obtaining the aide of a German w the proper monocle, we now know that the city is Kempten, Germany for the firearms merchant E. Bigelmayr. For now, little info is known on E. Bigelmayr in Kempten, Germany but Bigelmayr is a name found in Kempten and there was a gunmaker there named Mathias Biegelmayer. The difference in the last names of a couple vowels is probably allowed?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.