Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate help on identifying the year and approximate value of this gun. It's a Browning A5 16ga, with made in Belgium on the barrel. There's wear on the stock and a crack in the forearm, but it's overall in good working order. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

More pics

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
My resources show that the gun is a 1957 A5 Standardweight. I am not sure what a "heavy model" is. I guess Albanygun ment that it is a Standardweigh as opposed to a Sweet Sixteen. That crack needs to be repaired tp make the gun worth $500. It is not a big deal when done with the proper materials, like tru-glass.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Quoting from the Browning Auto-5 Shotgun Book, FN records indicate "A" represents Allege or Lightweight/Sweet Sixteen while the "T" refers to the Lourd (heavy) model or Standard 16.
I was surprised that there even was an A or T set of serial numbers. Learn something every day.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I seem to learn something all the time about the A5. I knew that the "A" stood for Allege and this roughly translates "to lighten or has been lightened" but I never heard of a "Lourd" A5. I think that lourd translulates "clumsy or heavy".

In general, I have slotted A5s into several groups accorning to weight. These were Standardweight, Lightweight (includes the Sweet Sixteen), Magnum and the Superlightweight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.