Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the constant hunt for similar materials in different Load recipes, I've come up short.

I have Cheddite 209 primers.
Alliant Red Dot powder
12s3, waa12, wt12 wads

I have huge piles of
Herters(Cheddite) hulls
Remington gun clubs
Winchester plastic basewad

I'm trying to find common Load data that uses the Cheddite primers, red dot powder and one of the 3 wads. So far I have found published loads for the Cheddite and Winchester hulls using these components. Obviously I'm looking for 1-1/8oz loads.

For the Herters(Cheddite) I've found, cci209 primer, 18-19.5 grains red dot, 12s3 wad. On the Alliant website.

For the winchesters I've found, cci209 primer, 17.5-19 grains of red dot, waa12 wad. In my Lyman's manual.

I can't find a published recipe for the Remington hull using the Cheddite primers.

Does anyone know where I could find a published recipe for this Load or has a recipe using the Cheddite primer, Remington gun club hulls and either the waa12 or wt12 wad?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I just read up on how the Cheddite primers won't seat all the way in the Remington Gun Club hulls. Apparently I'm asking a dumb question lol.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
The problem you are encountering is well known. Alliant generally only publishes data for loads that use primers made by the maker of the hull. Generally, you will see mainly Rem primers with Rem hulls and Win primers with Win hulls, etc. Your real question is whether you can substitute the Cheddite primers for the Rem primers in the data. The answer generally is yes as the Cheddite and Rem primers are of similar "hotness," with both being on the cool end of the spectrum. But I would only substitute primers if the pressure profile of the load with the Rem primer is 10,500 psi or less.

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
rcleofly said:
And I just read up on how the Cheddite primers won't seat all the way in the Remington Gun Club hulls. Apparently I'm asking a dumb question lol.
They seat just fine - I am doing that now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts