Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've had good luck with Remington copper solids in barrels with that twist rate.

I've also had good luck with Lightfields in barrels with that twist rate.

I've never used them, but many people on this forum like Hastings ammo for that twist rate as well.

Hope this helps,

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Another vote for Lightfields, worked grreat in my slow twist 870. You might also look at Federal Barnes expander, the slower non tipped one.

Scott

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Rev,

The make and model of your gun will be the primary deciding factor in how your gun shoots, (dependent on the design and quality of the workmanship). If your gun doesn't shoot well chances are the twist is not the reason...

JC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a ROSSI Single shot.
Picked it up a couple years back and haven't had any luck with Remington copper solid's.
Trying not to spend too much $ testing out every slug on the market.
Thank you every one for all your input :D

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
revup said:
It's a ROSSI Single shot.
Being a single shot it is an inherently accurate design...

Being a Rossi, it may not be made to the tightest tolerances.

Now...knowing that it is an accurate design, with possible loose barrel specifications and a 1-35 twist, I can say that it is no surprise that you may have issues with the faster sabots. (The slower the twist, the more important the quality of the design and, more specifically, the barrel becomes).

Therefore, as was previously mentioned I would highly recommend going with the "big and loose" type slugs such as the hastings and the Lightfields which, due to there designs perform reasonable well in just about any quality of barrel.

JC

·
Registered
301 Posts
The federal barnes expander worked great in my 24" 1-35 870 Mossberg barrel. I killed 2 does with them last week. 1 at a rangefinder measured 123 yards tiny pinky finger entrance hole with an exit hole almost 2" wide. It punched threw a rib bone on each side and it still passed threw. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, gentleman, for all the information.
I think i'll be purchasing some lightfields, hastings, and federal barnes expanders for this weekend.
we'll see what the groupings look like and i'll report back.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If you don't mind a suggesting go to the web site that advertises here as
www.slugsrus.com.
The link is right above, look up. :p
They sell the Hastings 1 1/4" oz in the 2 .75" hull at under 9 bucks a five pack and ship fst.
I ordered two days ago, got the slugs today.
I get 4" at 125 yards from my single shot Ultra Slugger with the Hastings offering.
The 1 1/4oz slug is advertised at 1500 f.p.s. and should be a good load for deer. Or anything else for that matter. :wink:
I never thought much of Rossi until I bought a .410/.22 switch barrel single shot.
Darned NICE little gun and made as well as most other firearms on todays market.
If you don't mind please post results for us.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
man is my shoulder sore.
lightfields had 3 and 4 in groupings @ 100yrds as well as the federals.
not too bad.
much better than last year with the copper solids
I'll try and get some pics put up next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts