Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reloading lead shot for a gun that I will be purchasing in the next couple of days in hopes of having some ammo to shoot when it gets here.

I am buying a 1926 Elsie 20ga field and need low pressure loads to help prevent cracks at the lock plate.

While browsing IMR website, I found a very interesting load

---2 3/4" Federal Plastic target Shells

7/8 oz. SR 4756 Rem. 209P Rem. RXP20 21.5 7,000 PSI 1200 F/S

And while going through Lyman 4th edition, I found this

---Fiocchi Plastic Shell (plastic basewad)

7/8 oz. SR7625 CCI209 one Win WAA20 17.5 6,800 PSI 1200 f/s

Can anyone point to what shells I need to buy in order to get the hulls prescribed in the recipe?

Are the Federal Premium Gold Medal target and/or Fiocchi Premium Target Loads the ones I need?

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
The official line of the powder manufacturers is that the recipes are only good for the component set listed. Any substitution of components, including the shells, may give unsafe results. So if you want to be safe and strictly by the book, you get the shells called for by the recipe.

That said, I would observe that these loads are not very high pressure for 20 ga. If changing shells should happen to raise the pressures a bit, you might be defeating your original purpose, even if you were not producing an unsafe load. I know of no easy way for a reloader to measure chamber pressure accurately. An experienced handloader in your situation might load a different shell from either of those recipes and back off a half grain of powder, to compensate for any possible difference in pressure. The velocity loss would be negligible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I follow you. But how do I determine what federal shells are considered "federal plastic target shells" I guess what I am asking is what box of shells from these manufacturers use the hulls needed in the respective recipes.

Do top gun federal top gun target loads qualify or do I need gold medal target load hulls.

Same With Fiocchi, which of the factory loads use Fiocchi Plastic Shell (plastic basewad)? Their premium target loads?

Or I am not reading the 7,000 or 6,800 PSI correctly? I thought that these represented the low pressure I would need in an old gun.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Lyman's 5th Ed. Shotshell Reloading Handbook has only the Federal Plastic with Paper Basewad 20 go 2 3/4" and Fiocchi Plastic Polyformed with high brass and low basewad 20 ga 2 3/4" shells pictured. So this implies that any Federal or Fiocchi 20 ga shell that you purchase should be what is listed. Federal makes the Gold Medal hulls only in 12 ga.

When I first started reloading I loaded up some Fed 20 ga hulls with the SR7625 recipe right out of the IMR guide using Win 209 and WAA20 wad. These were used as hunting rounds and were carried around a lot before being shot. What happened is powder migrated around the wad and I got a lot of bloopers.

I am not sure if SR4756 is also a fine grained powder, but I suggest you load either the Fed or Fiocchi hull with a recipe that uses the Fed 20S1 wad. Unless you plan to shoot all the shells quickly.

Lyman's 5th list the following 20 ga 6800 psi load: Fiocchi hull, 17.5 gr SR7625, CCI 209, Fed 20S1 wad, 1206 f/s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this implies that any Federal or Fiocchi 20 ga shell that you purchase should be what is listed.
Thank you for your help! Much appreciated! I saw that load in Lyman as well and am very, very interested in it.

I'm guessing that if I can find the Fiocchi 20GT
Game & Target or Premium Target Loads , I'll be able to use that recipe.?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
PAgrousin said:
I am buying a 1926 Elsie 20ga field and need low pressure loads to help prevent cracks at the lock plate.
I would think a light charge weight, low velocity load would be better than worrying about pressure for this concern. It is the recoil that will crack the stock at the lock plates. Pressure would be more of a concern with the chambers & barrels. The 3/4 oz youth loads at 1150 fps should fill the bill nicely.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/20remrxpsts.php

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.