Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hunter from Bulgaria.I find one old belgian double-barrels shotgun, but can't understend the name of the gunsmith.There's one mark L&T on the both barrels , the ELG* mark and something like 3 and one other mark which I can't describe.I can send pictures.I thing that the shotgun is made between 1820-1860.Can you tell me more about this?

·
Registered
383 Posts
ELG* mark (black powder test )and something like 3 (probably the EL scroll for preliminary testing)

as of the date i am not sure.

The gun was proofed in the Liege proof bank but it could have been done any time before 1968.

Im sure someone else will supply more details (eg when did liege start proofing shotguns?)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Belgium srarted proofing guns in Liege, by law, on the 10th of May,1672, using the Perron mark. So that won't help. The EL and the ELG in the oval started June 15th,1853. We know the gun's no older than that. Pictures or more mark description would help. I'm betting the perron is the one you find trouble describing. Does it look kind of like a candlestick on a stepped base?
Luck,
Jim

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
To Anyone Interested,
Durtak sent me some pictures. This is a very interesting old muzzle loading gun. The stock is well carved with what appears to be a lion's face. Near the butt is a brass clam shell which I assume opens to reveal a compartment for holding extra caps.Some proof marks are the normal Belgian stuff for mid 1800's. Others don't appear to be Belgian, in fact are closer to some of the Russian marks for the Tule proofhouse. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post pictures in the album later.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.