Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I have recently inherited a older shotgun from my Grandfather who was in WWII, we believe he returned home with it, but we are not sure. It looks like photos on the web I have seen of a Browning A5. You will have to forgive me for not knowing the proper terms for this, but on the left side of the main body there is inscribed "Fabrique Nationale D Armer De Querre Meretal Belgiou". Below this there is "Browning's Patent Deposs" (spelling may be slightly inaccurate, I'm working from photos, my brother has the gun right now)

Below the main body, to the front of where the shells are loaded, there is stamped "1886" above a small "v" inside a square.

On the right side of the main body, near where the shells eject, is stamped lengthwise (i.e. top of characters to front of gun) a "J" with a star above it, a symbol that I cannot identify, a short line "-", a "PV", another "J" with star above, and a symbole that looks somewhat like a plunger or broom, vertical line with a flaring bottom composed of chevron-like lines.

On the barrel, there is the phrase "Acier Special" on the left side and on the right several symobls I will not attempt to describe except for what seems to be a "16" or maybe "46" (the wood obscures it) along with a "C" inside a diamond.

I have the digital photos of this gun that I will be happy to forward to anyone that may be able to help me.

Thank you very much, my appreciation in advance.

G

·
Thank you, I'm pretty sure it is also now that I've seen a few more pics on the web. Do you have any idea where I might find information about when and where it was produced? The "1886" is especially interesting to me, do you think that could be a model numer, or serial numer, or even a date? When were A5's first produced?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
The number 1886 is the serial number , it would be from the first couple of years production which started in 1905. The A-5 was produced by FN (Fabrique Nationale) a Belgian company.

Is your stock a straight stock? (no pistol grip?) ? Just curious, we have a member here who has a first year A-5 with a straight stock.

The A-5 is arguably one of the most popular autoloading shotguns of all time, there is literally tons of info on the web in bits and pieces. the history is too rich to try and condense it to a few paragraphs.

there is a bit of history about it at www.browning.com , just work your way in..
if you want to get real serious about the knowledge of the A-5 you could buy this book : http://rayrilingarmsbooks.com/cgi-bin/r ... /9121.html but it's a bit spendy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, wow, it looks like that gun could be pretty old huh? I can't really answer your question about the stock type at this time, all the photos I took were closeups of the details, I forgot to get any of the gun as a whole. I'll be back up to visit over the 4th, I'll check that out then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.