Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying for quite some time to figure out what this shotgun might be.

The photos pretty much sum everything up - does anyone have a reference for this one?

I believe it is a William Read & Sons Model DP2 from the common marking on the parts.. ..apparently sold in Boston / made in Belgium.

From what I can find on-line, William Read was a gun maker in Boston from 1826 until 1880.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Read was Importer/dealer in Boston in late 1800, early 1900. If he was a gunmaker, he likely worked for someone else. I've never seen or heard of a gun made by Read, But, who knows.. All his guns that I've seen, probably a dozen or so, have been of better Quality.. His name appears on both Belgian and English guns and all seem to be of better Quality...This particular gun strongly resembles a Francotte....Bushrod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, Bushrod.

I took a look at the Francotte shotguns that came up on a Google search and the general outline of the shotgun is generally the same - of course, the Francotte is significantly more embellished / engraved and specialized. Those are really beautiful shotguns!

I saved this particular shotgun from becoming a police turn-in many years ago. It's original owner had passed away and it would have been sent to the scrap heap. I'm hoping that someone - somewhere - can tell me a little bit more about its history.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The proof marks are all Belgium. They indicate a gun that was proofed in Liege. It has 70mm ( 3/4 inch) chambers and choked barrels with 18.4mm of choke. This gun seems to have been reproffed for 33 grains of powder and 1 1/8oz of shot sometime after 1923. This is not uncommon. This is only a guess but the gun may have been made in September of 1926.

As Bushrod said, Read was an importer. I have seen both French and Prussian guns with his name on them but this is the first Belgium piece. The gun that comes to mind is a 12ga X 12ga X 9.3/72R Sauer. This gun belongs to a friend and is very nice, although rather plain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, A5guy.

This shotgun has been a mystery for a while and I'm gradually unearthing more and more about it. The stock is especially interesting to me, as one person a few years ago stated that it was English in style.

I have no idea on the production date, and, for all I know, this particular shorgun coould have been a "one off" assembled for a particular customer of Reed's that wanted a basic field shotgun. It is a nice piece that is safely tucked away for now, receiving regular maintenance to keep it in its current state.

We are, after all, only temporary custodians of the things we collect.

Take care,

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The grip on the stock is in the Prince of Whales style. This type of grip is common on many European guns. It is sort of a mixture of the straight, English, grip and the pistol grip that is most often seen on guns made for the US market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.