Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use a little help here as this is my first shotgun. I was all set to buy the Win 1300 when I decided to do a little bit more research. Everything in my price range leads me to believe I should be buying the Rem 870 because of all of the good things I have heard. However, I have not seen anything good or bad about the Win 1300 and I was wondering what everyone thought.Thanks for your help,Scot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, scot28! I've never heard anything bad about the Winchester, but my heart belongs to Remington. I've used Remington shotguns (1100's and 870's) for the past 19 years and haven't had any problems or complaints with any of them.Scroll on down the posts and see what the others have had to say about the 870. I'll think you'll see what I'm talking about!

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The 870 is considered the work horse of waterfowling...it is inexpensive, reliable, and parts are readily available. It is a great beginner gun as well as one that will serve you for many years. What do you want out of the gun? 3" or 3-1/2" capacity, matte finish, lots of aftermarket options?Unless there is something about the Winchester that you sways you towards it like it fits better, then either one will likely do what you want.Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments - My expectations in regards to the shell length are only 3 in. To me the guns seem identical in features except that the winchester is made from black composite where the 870 has the wood finish. I plan to use the gun for bird and small game hunting and I thought the composite might be better for the wet conditions which is why I was leaning towards the win. thanks - Scot

G

·
I have the exact same question! It will be my first shotgun too. Right now, the Winchester 1300 Black Shadow is on sale for $200 plus tax and includes a gun bag. The 870 Express is going for $219 plus tax.

I won't be able to shoot either before buying.

Scott

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can get the Remy in black synthetic stock as well but you may find the Winchester a better price initially...Ford and Chevy or Dodge...which do you like...I like Remington.
Bill

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you have friends with each shottie, ask them if you can shoot them to see which one YOU like.

I'm an 870 type of man myself, BUT I think you will be happy with either.

RePete.

·
Registered
59 Posts
go with the one that fits you better, also pump both actions and dry fire and pump and see which action you like better.

Best thing to do is shoot both but if you can not dry fire at the store and check the action to see which one you like better, that and fit should help you make up your mind both are good guns and you will be happy with either. 3 inch is all you ever need.

·
Registered
184 Posts
clayshooter25/25 said:
My 870 has never let me down.
Neither has my Win. 1300.
The 870 will weigh more, Because the 870 has a steel receiver and the Win.1300's is aluminum.
I find the choke system easier to use. Plus Mine cost only 2 bills....
I have a friend who shoots an 870, and all I hear from him (in the field) every 10 minutes is "This thing is heavy as hell"... LOL
But he prefers them.
Its best to see how you like either/or by trying them. Its a personal thing.
Art

1 - 10 of 10 Posts