Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 391 that suddenly developed a sticking problem with the originial bolt. The gun is unloaded and clean, but when the bolt is closed, it is difficult (sticky) to open at the end when the extractor is engaged. When easing the bolt closed, it will hang up right before the extractor is engaged.

It is just this particular bolt and when I swap it out from one with another gun (390), it works as normal. The 391 bolt that seems to be problematic works smooth in the 390

The original 391 has a new recoil spring, firing pin and spring in the bolt and a new locking bolt / block.

I thought my problem is with the extractor, which I want to remove, and check that something did not get lodged in it, and maybe just replace the extractor and spring to see if that is the problem but I am not sure how get the extractor out of the bolt. I tried tapping out the pin from the bottom, but nothing is budging.

Any ideas on what the hangup might be, and how to remove the extractor would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
1958jr said:
I have a 391 that suddenly developed a sticking problem with the originial bolt. The gun is unloaded and clean, but when the bolt is closed, it is difficult (sticky) to open at the end when the extractor is engaged. When easing the bolt closed, it will hang up right before the extractor is engaged.

It is just this particular bolt and when I swap it out from one with another gun (390), it works as normal. The 391 bolt that seems to be problematic works smooth in the 390

The 391 has a new recoil spring, firing pin and spring in the bolt.

I am assuming my problem is with the extractor, which I want to remove, and check that something did not get lodged in it, and maybe just replace the extractor and spring to see if that is the problem but I am not sure how get the extractor out of the bolt. I tried tapping out the pin from the bottom, but nothing is budging.

Any ideas on what the hangup might be, and how to remove the extractor would be helpful. THanks.
I don't really understand your problem (specifically). How does the gun work/operate when you load it and shoot it? Does it shoot, eject, and load the next round from the magazine OK?

When did the problem start and what did you do to the gun immediately before the problem started? Again, I'm just not understanding what the gun is doing and what it's not doing.

Yeah, if you want to remove the extractor, you punch the retaining pin upward. Maybe you're not doing it right, or maybe it's a roll pin. I don't recall and I'm not going to disassemble my 391 or 390 to find out. :)

Edit: Oh, one other thought. Maybe it's the locking block that is not disengaging easily from its notch in the barrel extension. Maybe the new firing pin or f.p. return spring has got the locking block somewhat bound up and not releasing like it should. Just a thought.

Thought #2: Is the gun properly assembled and the forend nut tightened down snugly?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gun takes some muscle to open, so it is hanging up on something. Even though it will cycle..

When you slam it shut it locks fine, but when you ease it shut it hangs up right at the end (sort of like when you ease a benelli closed and you have to push it shut).

The gun has seen a lot of use. I was shooting it, and it would cycle perfectly, but over time it started to have occasional FTF, and it ended up fracturing the locking block:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... olt/C50659

(broke in 2 at the V). The area on the barrel were the extractor meets the barrel is rough.

I replaced this part, but the orginial problem of not opening smoothly still exists, ( but goes away with the 390 bolt).

So just to recap, the gun used to open and shut smoothly. It got sticky, I still used it, and it ended up breaking the locking bolt. I put in a new locking bolt, and it is still sticking (difficult to open).

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
I suggest you send the complete gun to a good gunsmith. It sounds like a fitting/tolerance problem, or something that needs smoothed out or fitted. I can't diagnose it any further over the internet. Anything more would just be a guess.

However, I'm still confused about your statement about replacing the part where the extractor meets the barrel. What part did you replace? If it was the extractor, then surely you must know how to remove the existing extractor. EDIT: Never mind. I figured out that you were talking about replacing the locking block/bolt.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts on the issue. I replaced the locking block (#64) when it broke,

I was just commenting that the groove on the barrel were the extractor meets the barrel is rough and scored. I was trying a DIY fix since it is my main competition gun and did not want to do without it for weeks.

The puzzle is the 391 bolt works smooth and fine in the 390, but does sticks in the 391. The old 390 bolt works fine in the 391 and does not stick. So the easy fix is to just swap the bolts and forget about it....but it is still bugging me.

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
1958jr said:
Thanks for your thoughts on the issue. I replaced the locking block (#64) when it broke,

I was just commenting that the groove on the barrel were the extractor meets the barrel is rough and scored. I was trying a DIY fix since it is my main competition gun and did not want to do without it for weeks.

The puzzle is the 391 bolt works smooth and fine in the 390, but does sticks in the 391. The old 390 bolt works fine in the 391 and does not stick. So the easy fix is to just swap the bolts and forget about it....but it is still bugging me.
I think it is a tolerance issue.... probably having to do with the locking block. If you do some careful investigative work, you might be able to identify where the parts are not mating together real well. A little judicial "smoothing" in these places just might fix the problem. However, it might be better to leave it to a gunsmith to do this. It's up to you.

Question: You said you had replaced several parts, among them the recoil spring. Was the recoil spring replaced before or after you started having difficulty opening and closing the bolt?

Also, when you swap bolts with the 390, do you swap connecting rods too or do you leave the 391 connecting rod in the 391? There's a possibility, IMO, that the problem could be related to a bad fitting connecting rod or perhaps some roughness or problem inside the recoil spring tube. Also check the pin that connects the connecting rod to the bolt slide. On my 390's, that pin has been known to come loose and fall out when I have the bolt assembly out of the gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.