Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!
- I've put about 200 rounds through my new Remington 870 Police (AWESOME) and I was thinking about taking it apart to clean it. Problem is, the manual is geared to the Wingmaster version & I can't figure out how to dissasemble the gun. I have the extended mag tube that looks like it's soldered to the barrel.
My question: How do I take the barrel off?
Also, what cleaning kit/system do you guys/gals prefer. Right now, I've just got a cheap rod with some mix and match patches and solvents etc.....etc... I'm looking for a nice high quality kit. And lastly, on an unrelated topic, I'm looking at the Speedfeed IV-S stock (short version). Does anyone have an opinion on the quality and fit of this brand?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the same firearm yesterday, and looking at the exact same stock... any suggestions?

Sorry I can't help you about cleaning it, haven't tried yet (haven't shot it yet!) but I'm curious about replies...

1st post ever, seems to be a great forum! glad I found it. :)

- Brad

·
Registered
55 Posts
"....Remington 870 Police....extended mag tube that looks like it's soldered to the barrel."

I'm not sure that I understand. Do you have the magazine tube extension that gives you a capacity of 6 shells in the tube? There should have been an insert included with your manual that deals specifically with the extension tube. Obviously someone goofed.

Anyway, you take the barrel off the same way as described in the manual, but first you have to remove the extension. Quoting from the insert:

1.) Unscrew and remove the magazine extension swivel assembly screw. [In other words, unscrew the barrel clamp screw.]

2.) Slide the magazine extension swivel assembly from the magazine tube extension assembly. [OK, now that the barrel clamp is loose, slide it off the front of the shotgun.]

3.) Unscrew the magazine tube extension assembly. [Turn only the extension.]

4.) Remove the magazine spring.

5.) Unscrew and remove the magazine tube coupling.

Now remove the barrel per the manual. Of course, there is no magazine cap on the tube, so you can skip that.

Reassembly is of course the opposite, with the insert cautioning that when you screw the tube extension into the magazine tube coupling you should be careful not to tighten "excessively" as this may cause shells to bind in the tube.

HTH.

As far as cleaning kits go, I can't help as I'm still using a motley assortment of kits that I've "accumulated" over the years.

I don't have a Speedfeed IV-S, but Speedfeed's stocks are as good quality-wise as you'll find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.