Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
this is my firt time visiting your forums.
I have recently been handed down a shotgun that has been in my family for generations, unfortunately the only person that could have told me much about the history of the gun has passed away. I am not really concerned with the real value of the gun as it is priceless to me and I would never think of selling it. I would like to know a little bit about the gun though.
It is a "Le Fever Arms co." double barrel side by side. the number is E12366 and is located under the forarm. There is also what appears to be proof house marks under each barrel, crowns with "GL" inside them. I am unsure what ***** it is, 10 or 12 I think. The gun is shiney and appears to have never been blued, the stock is checked and the gun is moderately ingraved, 35 to 40%. I was told it could date to the late 1800's.
Please tell me anything you can about the gun, any help would be greatly appreiciated.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
According to the chart, your gun was made in 1890.

Is it possible the GL is a GE??? I highlighted why I asked

A short history of LeFever Arms :The Lefever was the first commercially successful hammerless double barrel shotgun made in America. They were made in Syracuse, NY from 1885-1916, at which time the company was acquired by Ithaca Gun Company. Ithaca made the Lefever after 1916

And a little on your gun :SIDELOCK MODELS
- 10, 12, 16, or 20 ga., 26-32 in. barrels, any choke, boxlock action (even though model nomenclature referred to sidelock model), cocking indicators on all but DS and DSE grades, double triggers standard, checkered straight or pistol grip stock, auto ejectors designated by letter E after grade. Mfg. 1885-1919.

I agree a family gun is too valuable for words but it's really nice to have a cash value for the Insurance Co incase the worst happens.

It's almost a surefire bet that it's valued at above $1000

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gun is an auto-ejector, and the letters inside the crowns that are stamped on each barrel under the forarm are "GL". The "E" designating it as an auto-ejector appears directly before the numbers 12366. The crowns and letters are stamped on either barrel near the base under the forarm. they are pictures of crowns with GL inside each. Can you tell me what cocking indicators are, there is no outward way to tell if it is cocked. Also how would I be able to tell what grade the gun is? can you tell me by looking at the numbers what ***** the gun might be, and can modern loads be fired in the gun, or is it a blackpowder only gun?
thanks

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Is there a set of number between the barrel and the reciever? That should be the receiver serial number and include the grade.

If there isn't an outward sign then it's prob a ds or dse but the receiver numbers should tell that. I tried to find a pic of cocking indicators but came up short.

As far as modern loads, I doubt it. 1890 was prior to Smokeless and I'm guessing the chambers are the old 2 5/8ths if 12 ga.

Take it to a gunsmith to find out if it's a 10 or 12 if you don't have a shell handy and also have him check chamber length.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gun is NOT an ejector. They came on line at about 18,000. The GL is some inspector's stamp. At 12,000 it would be a pivot opener and a cocking rod model. Early E grades have rather sparce engraving and would be hard pressed to bring $1000 unless it had a lot of finish.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Thanks for the save Russ. I wish you guys that know these old doubles so well would hang around a bit more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts