Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys please help me based on the information I have gleened on this board something must be wrong with my Red Label. It is quick to the shoulder...saftey/barrel selector is lighting fast and when I pull the trigger the gun goes bang and the bunnies stop running...They even die. I'm sure its from the noise because pellets should not come out the end. Even worse if I miss I can pull the trigger again and the gun goes bang.

What am I doing wrong!!! By all accounts from the experts on this board my gun should have misfired and fell apart in my hands. I even stored it in my guns safe because I was afraid it would spontaneously implode.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
You musta gotta a rare one indeed, better hang on to that sucker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Nah...Eyemissum has it just backwards...you got a run-of-the-mill RRL. Certainly not a collector's item...rather, it's just like my three: solid, dependable, deadly and American made.

good luck and good shooting
hunter20ga

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would send it in to have looked at. If you didn't spend $10,000.00 dollars on it I'm not even sure it has a warranty or is worth fixing.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Obviously, you haven't shot more than a couple of boxes through it...a gun as lowly as the RRL won't hold up past that many and you are risking life an limb by continuing to use it (PM me for proper disposal instructions).

Also, I'd suggest that you not walk off the field with your bottom lip dragging the ground or either screaming profanities should it receive some "battle wounds" from, say, errant target pieces or non-felt lined gun club racks; this priviledge is reserved for some of the B and primarily the P and K gun owners.

:wink:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
hunter20ga,

I hope you know that I was only spoofing the guy. :lol:

I wasn't serious in my reply.

I've got nothing against RRL's, they just don't fit me. My brother has 2, one of the first 20 ga.'s that came out, an a 28 ga. I've tried to shoot them, doesn't fit. They fit my brother just fine, he's a lefty, by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There must be something wrong with my Gold label also because it is light, balanced, beautiful, and points like a wand. Much of it was made by machine by folks in the USA. It kills dove and quail like nobodys business-couldn't be a Ruger, they're all junk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've noticed the same confounded problem with my All Weather S/S Red Label,every time I take it out and shoot it it functions flawlessly.Like it is actually supposed to do things like that!
Clearly a failure in communication on someones part somewhere.
Maybe thats it,I need a sophisticated "something is wrong"interperter,prefferable one that owns a non Ruger piece.This person can show me why its bad even though I have no difficulties in shooting the Ruger.That way I can be truly enlightened by the more evolved and correct thinkers of shotgun society.

·
Registered
950 Posts
This condition is very contagious and spreads rapidly without warning. My Uplander started exhibiting the same symptoms after being in a display rack at the dealer. Sure enough it was next to a Red Label.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My post was not intended to make fun of Jason H's post. Sorry if you took it that way. I just so sick and tired of the internet's misinformation. The problem has to do more with Human Nature than anything. The fact is people love to complain and love to spread rumors of complaints. The negative posts about a product are probably a 10000 to 1. People happy with their product dont feel a need to vent their frustraton on the internet. Manufactures sell 100's of thousands of thier product and 10 aholes on the internet bad mouth them and suddenly the product is a POS....Yes people get lemons...shutup get it fixed and get over it

Sorry off my soapbox now....

Anyhow...to continue the joke...I hear the reason the B guns last so long and dont have any problem is ...You dont have to load them or pull the trigger...Just point them at the game and they fall over dead ...or the clays just explode...

·
Registered
959 Posts
I realize the post was made tongue in cheek...

I recently picked up a used RRL. In two subsequent shoots, it had issues with doubling and the safety kicking on after the first shot. The trigger mechanism was cleaned with no improvement. I had a rough time of it because a buddy had told me not to buy the Ruger due to quality concerns...but I went ahead with it due to how good the gun felt and the price.

I took it back to the gun shop and put the cash towards a used Citori.

The problem is that after hearing about so many failures, and now having a bad experience...I have come to the conclusion that a good number of RRLs do have issues. I'm sure guys that never have an issue are very happy with their Ruger, I would have been. I'm also sure that other brands have these issues. It just seems to me that the RRL does in fact have these issues more frequently so I simply lost faith in the gun.

I also think that some of the "myth" around the Rugers stems from B gun "snobs" to be perfectly honest. I took that into account before purchasing the Ruger as well. I have nothing against Rugers, but if someone were to ask me about one I'd give an honest recount of my experience.

·
Registered
784 Posts
chilly460 said:
In two subsequent shoots, it had issues with doubling and the safety kicking on after the first shot. The trigger mechanism was cleaned with no improvement.
I had the same issue happen to me with doubling on the first one I bought used. It had been sitting in a closet for about ten years with no use by the owner. First time I fired it doubled, then did it again!

Took it to my gunsmith who disassembled and cleaned the action. He said it was like new inside, however someone had lubed it extensively and that lube had gummed up.

He cleaned and relubed it properly and it has been working for a lot of years of field use since, no doubling or problems with the safety. No problems with the other three I bought, two used and one new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts