Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a like new model 37 Ithaca with a modified choke. I LOVE the gun. the only problem is i wish i could use screw out chokes as i would like IC or Skeet for grouse hunting and full for really late season pheasants. I know i can convert it to screw in chokes. I would love to know your thoughts on brands of screw in chokes and if they pattern as well as fixed chokes. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If this gun has a vent rib, I encourage you to consider having a Polychoke installed on it. You will be much happier with the poly than you will with screw-ins, IMO.

If it is a plain barrel, the Poly will be visible to you when shooting. No problem for most people, but something to consider.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Check out a company named Briley.com they do allot with converting shot guns and making chokes and they are a top notch company. I think they can answer all you questions about a conversion to screw in chokes.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Depending on the age of your M37 you can simply buy a new barrel that is threaded for chokes... and comes with IC, Mod and Full chokes. I added a new 28" barrel to my dad's M37 (original fixed M choke) when he gave it to my son. Ithaca barrels used to be available at Cabe!as, among other places.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr. Mike
that was my first choice but they are so hard to find and very expensive 250-350. Not a good choice. and i cant find one in a 28". I would like to go that route. I also HATE poly chokes had two and will never own one again. You either swear at polychokes or swear by them. no middle ground and they are butt ugly!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
kg, screw in chokes are good enough for a sheet shooter to shoot 1950 out of 1950, a second to shoot 1250 out of 1250 this year... If that a good enough pattern for you, call Briley in Houston, Tx.

bd

·
Registered
28,149 Posts
kgpcr said:
I have a like new model 37 Ithaca with a modified choke. I LOVE the gun. the only problem is i wish i could use screw out chokes as i would like IC or Skeet for grouse hunting and full for really late season pheasants.
If it is indeed "like new," don't touch the barrel . . . which will destroy the value of the gun. I cry when I see otherwise great old guns (M12, A-5's) defaced with Poly-chokes, Cutts, and other abominations. Well, if not weeping uncontrollably; I do wince a bit.

First, pattern the darn thing. If mod really is too tight for your grousing, use spreader loads-- they work well, particularly with lighter payloads.

Late season pheasants, just use larger shot and heavier payloads if the pattern board tells you you need them.

·
Registered
28,149 Posts
No, continuous taper chokes generally do not do well at all with heavier payloads compared to conical / parallel chokes.

Teague fans, as far as I know, are not shooting 1-1/4 oz. 1-5/16 oz. 20 ga. loads or 1-3/8 oz. 12 ga. loads as a rule. That's where the extended parallel section really shines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for Carlson's. I did a fair amount of research before I sent them two Belgian made A-5 barrels (one 12ga. and one 20ga.) over the summer. They did a fine job and I'm happy with the end result.

I have not been able to pattern them, but I've shot a few rounds of trap and skeet and they seem to work fine. I love the extended LM tube for the 20!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I agree wtih what Randy says. You should be able to vary your patterns by choosing different loads and testing them. And a vintage M37 deserves not to be disfigured. If you really want choke tubes, perhaps the best suggestion is to get a new barrel, as noted above.

If you are really adamate about having work done on this particular barrel, I suggest you contact Mike Orlen. Mike is a moderator here on the Gunsmithing Forum and comes highly recommended. His work is excellent, prices very reasonable and his turn around time is unmatched in this area.

Like I said, I think the other alternatives are better, but if you do decide to have tubes installed, go with Mike, you will not be disappointed.

Frank

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello kgcpr: Well to answer your question, yes you can get a barrel fitted with choke tubes to pattern great. I do recommend that you go to a choke tube manufacturer/installer like Briley or even Mike Orlen the SGW resident gunsmith etc.

I assumed you have a Ithaca Md 37 12GA. also there is the "old and new" style the break is about 855,000 if I recall correctly.

However with just a few minutes searching this is what I found:

On www.gunbroker.com
12 ga. 28 in. Plain, Mod choke for $99. have it opened up to Imp/Cyl or tubes installed

www.e-gunparts.com
they have an aftermarket Hastings 28 in. "wadlock" with 3 choke tubes, $215.

www.poppertsgunparts.com

They have 1 barrel $75. (length and choke unknown but worth a phone call).

www.barrelexchange.com

They have about a dozen barrels
Imp/Cyl Plain, $165.
Full Plain $145
Vent Rib Full or Imp/Cyl $225

Buying a "loose" barrel and having it modified with choke tubes, doesn't hurt the value of your gun. Obviously with 2 barrels it just become more desireable to own!!

Like I said I just looked for 12ga barrels, most of the above did list 16 and 20ga. barrels too.

Regards Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.