Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am as much a newbie as can be found! I have interest in both Trap and Skeet, but am finding via research that there is a different market for each gun. Is there an under $2000.00 model out there that will "qualify" to be used in both arenas?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

G

·
Trap and skeet are pretty different. skeet usually with shorter barrels and very open chokes, trap with tight chokes, long barrels to swing smooth, and it should shoot high.

That said, an of the sporting model O/U's with screw in chokes and about a 28" barrel will go a very good job of shooting both, plus will be perfect for sporting clays, which is more fun than either trap or skeet. You can pretty much have your pick for under $2,000.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
You will do good with a gun that fits you no matter what sport you chose. Just ask your self what people shot before those special guns came out.It's almost always about the shooter.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up with a Beretta 687 Silver Pidgeon II , 30" O/U.

A beautiful Shotgun! The action is incredible!

Will shoot it tomorrow for the first time. First Trap in 23 years!

Should be interesting :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot my new 687 for the first time yesterday, during a class I hit my first 7 @ 16 yards, then the instructor made me change a few things, I missed the next 4! I went back to what I was doing, and hit the next 8! These were all from the #2 position.

Then reality set in, and I shot a real round.....16 out of 25....Not bad for my 1st round of 16 yard....

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
One suggestion: concentrate only on the targets. When you glance back at the barrel, your swings slow and you will shoot behind targets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rollin....

Got the book yesterday, but have not had time to read it yet!

Thanks, again,

Win

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like you got a nice one. I have been trying to understand the specific differences in Field, trap, skeet and sporting clays guns for the last couple of years. I am getting ready to buy my first O/U and don't want to get something I will not be happy with long term. The best I have been able to find out is that the only real specific is the trap gun. Through a combination of features the trap gun is the only one that is that specifically different. These features (stock & rib, mainly) are set up to bias the pattern high to more reliably break the rising target. As you have found out, you can shoot trap targets with reasonable success without a trap specific gun. To be competitive in trap will probably require a trap gun, having fun can be very much accomplished without one! Just my take but I have been asking the same question for about two years.

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah MMC.....I think 25/25 had a good point that getting a gun that is close to fitting out of the box is the most inportant thing. I am sure that when I get on the learning curve, I will be in the low 20's on a regular basis. Unless you are a 25/25 objective guy, I (at this point) don't think the gun is going to really fix you or make a drastic change in the results. What I like about the 687 is is appears that it will be a very versitile gun for my purposes.....

That and DAMN...... it sure is beautiful! :lol: 8)

Also I felt the Beretta name should build in some resale value down the road should I look to trade up some day.

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts