Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at my Mossberg 500 today and on the barrel very close to where in goes into the reciever, there is this white crispy stuff that keeps forming. Not a lot but it happened before and i wiped it off and i just found it again today. I wiped it off again and put some oil on it. Does anyone know what this could be? It is where the back of the rib ends and I found it in the same spot both times. It is in this area where there is a corner, its not on a flat surface. :cry:

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's where the blueing salts are leeching out from under the rib.

When a gun is hot blued, it must be boiled in water for up to 30 min in order to neutralize the salts. You need to boil that barrel or it will never quit. Remember that blueing is a form of rust. If it's not stopped, it could eat through your barrel.

Mossberg is the worst about this that I've ever seen.

Thanks,
Leehttp://www.thearmsroom.com

G

·
My 12 gauge shotgun is 34 years old and has a broken forestock on the pump. I have not been able to find a replacement or retro-fit. 12 ***** 28" vent rib barrel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.