Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Men of all ages like to give women instruction. A man would never entertain the idea of walking over to give another man unsolicited golf instruction on the driving range, but will hop right over an give unsolicited golf advice to any female struggling on the driving range.Of course, women have recognized this since cave-man days, and have used the instruction inclination of males as a pick-up opportunity, cooing, "Can you show me how to hit the ball such a faaar distance," at the driving range.However, even though unsolicited clay shooting instruction, to women, might seem like loving and caring behavior, it is really about domination and control, and the modern woman understands that and doesn't like it. I recently went through this with a female family member at the shooting range, and seniors, in particular, who sincerely want to share their love of the sport of clay shooting, must learn to put a brake on offering unsolicited instruction and advice, because it will drive a lot of women away from the sport.The key phrase is "unsolicited advice". Further, in this regard, if advice is solicited, it is meant for the one situation, not as a license to offer advice, unsolicited, for the next decade.The shooting clubs all recognize that women shooters are the fastest growing segment of shooting clays, and want to attract that money. This is the primary reason you see the sign at some of the shooting clubs, "Do not offer unsolicited instruction or shooting advice."

·
Registered
263 Posts
True very very true. I hate it when i miss 2 targets and a man who seems to think he knows it ALL walks up and says "honey you shot over that target." I know i shot over the target, i'm not clueless, but it doesn't hurt if you know the person and they are constantly doing this and they won't mind it.~If it flies, it dies~

·
Registered
180 Posts
I never go near a woman on the range. I keep my suggestions to myself. In fact most of the older generation that shoot at the two clubs I belong too, kept to themselves. I rather watch her shoot, some of the time she has a teacher close by for advice. Most women I've notice use the instruction flawlessly, where most guys started sky banging without formal instruction, trial and error at best and have to over come alot of ingrain gunning problems on skeet, trap and sporting clays. For myself, I started hunting Grouse and Woodcock at 15 years old, I'm 53 now, after so long in the woods you learn to shoot at what you got or you don't shoot at all, I believe they call it poke shooting, I don't think about leads on the birds. With my own style of shooting, I look rough and out of syc., no smooth swing or follow thru, for me it's kill the clay from port arms. At skeet I run 22 and 23 ave. per rd. Grads SCG on your form, keep it alive kid. Shells

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wing, you are right on the money, "shells" is just a well wish to the fold. As soon as I figure out how to tag this web sight onto the local boards "web sites" of both gun clubs, I will do so. Good imfo. and people I like to share, but you got to keep in mind we are mostly yankees up here, some are good ol'boys. Now the one club, Tulip City Gun Club is a indoor pistol club, they have alot of female shooters that are into speed shooting of plates and bowling pins, I can't at this time vouch for the shotgun part but that doesn't mean the ol'ladies don't shoot scatter guns with their husbans at some time. Now North Ottawa Rod and Gun is shotgun country, Trap, Skeet and sporting clays. I belong on the pistol team that shoots Bulleye for NORG. They also have women that shoot plates, rather good too. I have seen women shooting trap and skeet, haven't witnesed the sporting clays to much to call to mind. Let me see what I can get going. Shells

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I figured that shells was a nawthun thang....kinda like grits and sweet tea are suthun. Just his way of saying later.biscuits There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think that all guys know by now not to tell women what to do."A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument." A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like to win arguments so i don't care if i get the last word i just want to be right! even if it comes to "low blows" i like to win</i Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Uh huh.... sure... you're absolutly right... ;) A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
180 Posts
nah nah nah, be nice SCG. Like they say; sugar and spice and everything nice, lube with gun oil to see how that gets you. :) Shells Edited by: Howie1049 at: 11/1/02 1:56:22 pm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts