Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done any shotgun shell loading in over 30 years so I am basically new to reloading. I have 3-8oz. cans of Hercules Green Dot. I'm wondering if current Green Dot recipes will be ok for this powder? I also have 3 charge bars for an old Mec 600jr. that I don't know what size they are. All 20 ga. , one is marked 2, one is marked 2A, and the last marked 4. Any imfo will be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
Current recipes for Green Dot will be fine for your powder provided the powder is in good shape. If it has been kept in a sealed container and not subjected to extreme heat (like in an attic) or excessive moisture, then it should be in good shape too. :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Your old bar data:

All for Bars marked for 20 Gauge
2 - This data is for OP Cards and Filler wads. 7/8 Ounce of Shot, 23 Grains of SR4656, 2 1/4 DE

2A - Plastic Wads. 7/8 Ounce of Shot. 2 1/4 DE.
Powders:
HS-6, 23 Grains
Unique, 15.5 Grains
700X, 12.7 Grains
SR7625, 16 Grains

4 - Card and Fiber Wadding. 1 Ounce Shot, 22.2 Grains SR4756, 2 1/2 DE

DC

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Good info provided above. I would suggest that you get newer style bars with fixed shot cavity but bushings for the powder drop. they seem for more versatile than the older style bars. Powder bushings are not expensive and easy to change. for 20 ga I have used 3/4, 7/8 and 1 oz bars. The bars can also be used for other gauge loaders like 28 or 12 as well. I have 3 600 jr loaders in 410, 20 and 12.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.