·
Registered
17,956 Posts
That's up to you, how far do you want to shoot? :roll:

BP

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you are using a pattern plate for the purpose of gun fit, then the answer is 16 yards. If your center of pattern is 4" high and 3" left for example, then you need to lower your comb 1/4" and move it 3/16" to the right. Every inch off center on the pattern plate equates to 1/16" on the comb. 16 yards is the answer.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
16 yards if you can and will be adjusting the comb, because of the info provided by Claybuster425. I would do this off of a rest.

Then at what ever distance you estimate you will be breaking the targets, shot off hand to confirm that you are shooting in the right place.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
waverider said:
..... I would do this off of a rest.....
NO !!!!! From a rest, you would be "aiming" the shotgun; you don't "aim" a shotgun, you "point" it. When patterning for point of impact, you mount the gun and fire..... no squirming, no adjusting, no nothin'.

A shotgun, when mounted naturally, should be pointed where you're looking; if not, the gun fit should be adjusted to you; you should NOT adjust your position to fit the gun.

·
Registered
895 Posts
wwb said:
waverider said:
..... I would do this off of a rest.....
No, just focus on a spot on the patterning plate and bring the gun up and fire as soon as the gun touches your face and shoulder. Don't look at the gun or the beads. Focus only on the spot. Do this about 5 or 6 times. The pattern should super-impose over the same spot each time. If it doesn't , then your mount is not consistant and you're wasting your time right now. You need to get your mount consistant before you can adjust your gun fit.

·
Banned
795 Posts
What you do is go and see if your gun fits you , most good gun shops will have an experianced man that will tell you the score on gun fit.

Dont waste shells on the board , total mind F***

Gut fits , it is your problem when ya miss :shock:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Let me explain in more detail the apparent madness to my suggested procedure.

Initially you do aim the shotgun from a rest to find out where the gun is shooting. You can then adjust the comb after each shot. This will now give you an idea of the alignment of the beads you need to shoot where you want the gun to shoot. Gun fitting by yourself.

You now proceed to find out where YOU are shooting. This is done like you are actually shooting whatever game you like to shoot. If you shoot premounted skeet, trap or sporting then premount focus on the aim point, point the gun and fire. If you shoot low gun then move, mount and shoot. Shoot couple of shots at 16 yards to confirm, you are one with the gun. Then shoot at whatever distance you expect to be breaking the targets. This is also the perfect time to check out the patterns of your chokes and ammo. Fine tune the comb adjustments if you feel it necessary.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
United Shot said:
What you do is go and see if your gun fits you , most good gun shops will have an experianced man that will tell you the score on gun fit.

Dont waste shells on the board , total mind F***

Gut fits , it is your problem when ya miss :shock:
Not true. I've patterned different choke tubes in the same gun and found surprising differences. Patterning helps.

·
Registered
895 Posts
United Shot said:

quote]
Maybe on your side of the pond, but on this side I don't agree at all with your thinking that most good gun shops have someone that knows about gun fit.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Patterning to find the point of impact (POI) can be done at almost any distance, to learn the sight picture (eye, front bead, target) necessary to hit what you're shooting at.

Patterning could be done at the distance of the average target but finding the center of a pattern shot at 30 or 40 yards is more difficult than finding its center when fired at 15 or 20 yards.

If targets are usually shot at 40 yards, patterning at 20 yards will offer useful information more easily because it is easier to find the center of a smaller pattern. However, if the center of the pattern is 3" high at 20 yards, it will be 6" high at 40 yards. As was mentioned above, the position of the eye is often moved to change the POI by use of a comb pad or the installation of an adjustable comb.

POI patterning from a rest is a good idea but it has its limitations. It represents only where the gun will shoot with the sight picture and your eye in one particular location relative to the rib when the shot is fired. This is the comparison of the gun's point of aim and its point of impact.

This exercise may or may not duplicate the results gotten when shooting at moving targets. Only when the gun fits the shooter and when a correct shooting form is being used will the results be similiar or identical. Both fit and form play important parts in keeping the eye stationary (relative to the rib) when swinging the gun to overtake targets. It is the reason information gotten patterning a gun using a rest is so limited. http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
"No one needs a board , even better debate

What are ya doing shooting at a board ?

Stop wasting shells ."

I like shooting at the board because it holds sorta still and I can hit it. Not always true with the targets, my English friend.

·
Registered
797 Posts
With all due respect to the Englishman,patterning on a board can yield some very positive results.When my daughter started shooting trap she couldn't hit targets.I took her to the pattern board where she learnt where the gun actually hit in relation to where she pointed.Now she hits targets.She also understands the effect distance has on the shot pattern.
Some of you have no use for a pattern board and that's just fine but don't knock those of us that do.It's a valuble tool that I'll continue to use.
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts