Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benelli Montefeltro, fabarm initial hunter L4s, and beretta a400 Xplor. I know a guy with rem 1100 in left hand trap model, not sure if this is also available in a field model.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I can't speak to an objective, side by side evaluation of these three guns ( I've never seen, much less shot the Benelli and Beretta models ), but I do know that my Fabarm L4S IH has been a terrific field and informal clays gun with excellent fit and finish. Also, my experience with Fabarm/CG customer service has been excellent.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Aren't there other Benelli models in LH to pick from? I know many members on this forum also are devoted to their Tristars, which can be had in LH versions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just my two cents but I shoot left handed and I've been shooting semi's from several builders for 45 years of my life. For the last twenty years I've used them primarily for field work having switched to O/U for target shooting. I have never been bothered in the least by a shell ejecting in front of my face shooting a right hand gun. This includes hunting game and shooting clay targets. In fact I don't even notice it. It's definately an advantage if you can purchase a right handed gun that offers the abilty to add "cast on" to the stock with shims to suit a left hander like Beretta and Fabarm do.

I recently stated in another forum that I recently purchased a Fabarm L4S and I can say without reservation that this is my favorite of all the semi's I've ever owned. I either currently own or have owned just about all of the quality ones worth having over the years and the Fabarm is the winner. Moreover, if you can deal with a right hand gun you will have many more to choose from on the new and used markets.

·
Registered
Cynergy - Euro Sporting and CX
704 Posts
I own a left handed Montefeltro. Good for occasional clays but pretty light if you plan on shooting a lot.

Jim

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
buy a beretta A400 in a lefty or buy a used right handed model or new right handed model, flip the shim and go.

Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a benelli m2 12ga and a beretta a400 20ga. Both are great reliable shotguns that come with shims to set the cast up for a lefty. The beretta has a reversible safety to, not sure about the benelli. I prefer the charging handle and other controls on the right side of the gun so the righty’s are perfect for me since everything else is reversible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is what I bought my LH son and it's been flawless (20ga). Now that he's bigger, I bought him an A400 12ga for waterfowl).
I bought my son a LH M2 in 20 gauge and it's certainly a nice gun - it was the only LH SA 20 gauge I could find - but after shooting it a while we realized that whatever reason they left the release button on the right side of the receiver. This is a major PITA.

On the RH version, the button is just below the port, and it can be easily closed with the right thumb and the lever is never impeded by the rest of the right hand (ie if the gun is in your right palm, the fingers are on the other side of the receiver).

On the LH version, the port and the lever are on the left side of the gun, but the button is still on the right. If you try to close it with the right thumb, the lever hits your fingers on the other side. Theoretically, you could hold the gun in your left hand and try to close it with your left index finger, but ergonomically that's hard to do because the left thumb still tends to get in the way of the lever.

I'm sure there's some reason they did it this way, but it seems like an oversight. If they can reverse the port and the bolt lever, they could figure out a way to reverse the release button, too.

As I said, it was the only LH semi-auto I could find in 20 gauge but I would recommend against it at this point if you have another option.

Pictures below to show what I'm talking about.

Right-handed:

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Electric blue

Left-handed:

Bumper Composite material Automotive exterior Metal Auto part

Musical instrument accessory Wood Font Metal Composite material

On the Beretta they did it correctly, but it's not available in 20 ga as near as I can tell:
Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades Font Vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like my port/charging handle on the right side, honestly it’s easier for most lefties to just buy a right handed gun, use the supplied stock shims to cast it for a lefty, switch the safety to lefty configuration and call it good. I tried the charging handle on the left and it was awkward for me. It also makes shooting most other semi auto guns more confusing for a beginner. The argument about the ejecting shell being distracting is bunk in my case, I’ve never noticed it in any gun I’ve ever shot. The stock cast is a big deal though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I bought my son a LH M2 in 20 gauge and it's certainly a nice gun - it was the only LH SA 20 gauge I could find - but after shooting it a while we realized that whatever reason they left the release button on the right side of the receiver. This is a major PITA.

On the RH version, the button is just below the port, and it can be easily closed with the right thumb and the lever is never impeded by the rest of the right hand (ie if the gun is in your right palm, the fingers are on the other side of the receiver).

On the LH version, the port and the lever are on the left side of the gun, but the button is still on the right. If you try to close it with the right thumb, the lever hits your fingers on the other side. Theoretically, you could hold the gun in your left hand and try to close it with your left index finger, but ergonomically that's hard to do because the left thumb still tends to get in the way of the lever.

I'm sure there's some reason they did it this way, but it seems like an oversight. If they can reverse the port and the bolt lever, they could figure out a way to reverse the release button, too.

As I said, it was the only LH semi-auto I could find in 20 gauge but I would recommend against it at this point if you have another option.

Pictures below to show what I'm talking about.

Right-handed:

View attachment 35676

Left-handed:

View attachment 35679

View attachment 35681

On the Beretta they did it correctly, but it's not available in 20 ga as near as I can tell: View attachment 35680
I agree that Benelli messed up with the placement of the bolt release. I'm sure it's was done this way to cut costs. If you look at the trigger group I'm pretty sure they are the same between the two versions also except for the safety being reversed. I've gotten used to it over the years and it's a non issue for me now, but I'll admit it was nice having everything on the same side the year I tried the LH A400.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts