Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to compare 3.5" steel to 3" and 2.75" HS, but what about the following:

#6 HS 3.5" with a skeet or Improved Cyl. choke tube
vs.
#6 HS 3" or 2.75" with a Modified choke tube

It would seem to me that the 3.5" would still have the same distance as the 3" and 2.75" and have the same or wider pattern with more density.

Would that not work better?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You didn't mention the shot charge weight for the loads you're comparing - you'll find that the velocity drops dramatically with the heavier shot load, which affects the effective range. Also, there are variations from gun to gun, but there usually isn't that radical a change in pattern size for a one-step change in choke.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I've posted it here before - the reason for the 3-1/2 inch shells was steel shot.

1 Steel is less dense than lead.

2 You need larger pellets with steel.

3 You need a larger hull to hold the same number of pellets as you had before.

4 The weight of the steel pellets is about the same as the weight of the lead, so the pressure and velocity are about the same.

5 If you then fill a large hull with lead, or something equally dense, you lose velocity (there is a limit to the allowable pressure) - you now have more pellets, but less energy per pellet. See the thread on the American Hunter article this month - the guy is dropping GEESE at 30 yards with a 28 gauge!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that the reason for 3.5" was out of necessity for Steel.

My question is, now that we have a lead equal available and 3.5" (no matter why it was developed) , how can we use that to our advantage for waterfowl?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
"My question is, now that we have a lead equal available and 3.5" (no matter why it was developed) , how can we use that to our advantage for waterfowl?"

The answer...

If you have a #6 Hevi-Shot load of 1 1/2 oz in a 3 inch shell, and a #6 HeviShot load of 1 1/2 oz in a 3 1/2 inch shell...The 3 1/2 inch will have a higher velocity (figuring 'max' loads for each length) as the 3 1/2 inch shell can be loaded to a much higher working pressure...Where you will 'limit' yourself with HS is by going to larger payloads, hence same pressure at lower velocity...

All for examples sake of course...

Salmoneye, Who Is Still Shooting 2 3/4" Fasteel...Why?...Because He Can...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.