Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a difference in performance between the regular hevi-shot, the high velocity hevi-shot and Cabelas high velocity hevi-shot? I would think the higher velocity the better but thought I would ask to hear from people that have tried them all.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would think the higher velocity the better
You would think so, and believe me "marketers" take advantage of that way of thinking. In reality tho' with HS velosity can become your worst nightmare when you venture out to the pattern board.
Unlike steel most will find that HS tends to be on the 'overkill' side of the spectrom, and that they have better results with smaller payloads and less velosity.

tom

·
Registered
999 Posts
As blunder pointed out, hypersonic velocities are not necessary to kill with HS. However, I have found that extra velocity can be helpful in opening up the pattern. Some of the best patterns I've achieved with HS loads were with Cabela's 1-1/8oz 1575 fps screamer out of a Terror choke. It would open up to over 30" at 30 yards yet hold killing densities out past 50 yards. On the flip side, I had severe trouble producing consistent, open patterns with slower loads.

I would suggest pattern testing HS before using it. It reacts to choke differently than anything else out there. The blind is not the place to discover your gun/choke/ammo combo is not up to snuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts