Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

Ok, I've never presumed to start an off-topic thread, but I'd like some help in the next few days, say over the weekend, and I'm not sure how many people actually check in to the "Hunting" forum. I promise never to do this again unless a similar dire emergency threatens the well-being of my size 12 puddle-flopping feetsies. Please induge me if you can see your way to do it! If not, I hope you'll just ignore the off-topic posting just this once. Here's my original post, from the "hunting" forum:

"My boots are killing me. I bought a new pair of Cabela's insulated hunters on sale last year, but they hurt my feet and drive my knees and my leg muscles right up a wall. They are amazingly flat, stiff, flimsy, hard to lace, thin-soled and unsupporting of the arch--even when I put pretty good arch supports in 'em. This year I want to get a new pair of boots, NOT Cabela's--would like to spend in the 90-110 dollar range. I generally want some light to medium weight insulation (like thinsulate) and some kind of breathable yet waterproof upper (along the lines of Gore-Tex, but it doesn't have to be brand name). Comfort is optimal--my present pair are like ^%$#@*& VC torture instruments, but I can't afford $200 plus for Danners or Meindls, much as I'd love to have 'em. The three companies that have caught my eye (all have boots with the features and price I'm looking for) are Rocky boots, La Crosse, and Wolverine. Any experience with these brands? Other recommendations?

If you'd like to help a fellow shotgunworld poster, this would be my moment of need! Chime in quickly if you can--I would like to order soon and start breaking em in a bit before grouse and small game opens, then finish the break-in job chasing around after the partridges (not that I need the insulation then, but its a great break in!)"

Thanks for any info, horror stories, satisfied owner stories, etc. Right now my big 'ol flat clod hoppers of feet are taking a terrible fragging! I got home from a scouting trip yesterday and had to soak my dogs in Epsom salts and take tylenol to knock down the pain in my 50-year old knees. I'm hoping for pity and some fellowship. To the list of manufacturers above, I would like to add Red Head (whose web page I haven't been able to find, although JLPtexas recommended them highly) and Irish Setter. Do you have happy feet? Do you dance over hill and dale, merrily traipsing along, fording swampy spots and sitting on a deer or turkey stand for extended periods? If so, please let me know, especially if the boots you use are $100-to maybe $120.

Thanks all!

Jeff23

·
Registered
261 Posts
:cry: When your dogs hurt, you hurt all over. I know a bunch of guys who wear Wolverine work boots and they love them. I don't know about hunting boots from them. Main thing is don't buy through the mail. If you can't try them on for comfort you won't get a good fit. I have short fat feet and I am hard to please on footwear. I tried a lot of safety shoes before I found ones that fit and did not hurt my feet. I ended up with K-Mart's Texas Steer steel toes that looked like tennis shoes. They were very comfortable and fit nice. My old hunting boots didnt fit right so I made me a pair of insoles out of carpet. That made the sole thicker and actually made the boot warmer. One store I was in, every pair I tried hurt my feet. If it is realk cold, I like to wear regular shoes with buckel up over shoes. The air space gives a little extra insulation. A good fit, not too tight, and sometimes cheaper is better. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jeff,

The last 2 pair I bought were Rockies. The first pair I bought is more heavily insulated that ranks right up there with Sorrels without the bulk.

I just bought a second pair with less insulation for warmer weather and they are still pretty warm. I have wide feet so I have a hard time with good boots. these boots work for me.

Both pair cost in the $90 - $120 range.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Rocky's. I have had several pair over the years and barring things like a puppy sending them off a tad early they have been great wearing boots. The run in $100-$150 range depending on sale, covering, and stuffing. I have had the cornstalkers, the bearclaws, and if I head out to the deer woods this year much I may get another pair.

http://www.rockyboots.com/outdoor1.html

I stepped out this past spring and got a pair of LaCrosse snake boots for turkey season, as they were what the store had. Other than not liking the 18" of lacing they have many miles already on them and they feel like cross trainers more than boots. The Burley by LaCrosse is the rubber boot of choice around here.

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
Jeff,

Last spring I purchased a pair of L. L. Bean hiking boots. They cost about $100. They are Gore-Tex lined and they are about 5.5" tall. They come to just above the ankle bone. They are padded and probably have some insulation in them, but I don't know how much. They are very comfortable and require NO breakin. I wear them on sporting clays courses where they get some rough treatment from time to time, plus I sometimes have to wade puddles or go through high wet grass to get to the next station. I would recommend them for hunting in anything but extreme cold and deep snow. For average upland hunting conditions, they should work just fine.

If you are wanting a taller sturdier boot for harsher conditions, I like the Red Wing leather boots in about a 10" height. They are extremely comfortable for long walks in rough conditions. They last a very long time and maintain their water resistance with occasional application of oil or wax. They probably cost about $150 (estimated).

For the severest conditions, I would recommend the Rocky boots. They are TOUGH, but not nearly as comfortable for walking as the Red Wing. Good luck in your search. :lol:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks guys--I seem to have started two threads instead of one. All the advice is much appreciated, and I promise to let everyone know how this comes out by next Saturday:)

Best,

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Jeff, I'm a day late but I get an ego trip out of reading my own opinions :lol: so I thought I'd throw in a suggestion. I've managed to find several pairs of shoes and boots to fit my extra-wide, high arch, size 12EEE, bog-walker feet.

First off, if you can, find a good shoe store. Ya know the kind of small shop where the guy knows his inventory, and actually measures your feet. It'll be a small independant business, or maybe found inside a department store. But the important thing is it'll have a full time salesperson who actually knows what they are doing. Cabela's boots may be OK, as long as they are fitted properly. But... I remember going into the Cabela's in MI, looking for a boot, and being scared off by the highschool age kids they had working there. They had no idea what the hell they were doing.

Anyway, the person at said shoe store can measure your feet and find any number possible styles to fit you. If they have nothing in stock, they can order them for you in a matter of a few days. Once said boots are properly fitted they will last you a LONG time compared to a normal Wally World pair too, so you may wanna consider adding 20 bucks to the top end of your price range. If they fit correctly, you won't have that one spot that wears out really fast because your feet put too much pressure on it. I've got a pair of 10 year old Russell Moccasin Company boots that my dad bought me for my first deer hunt. (feet were done growing by 14) They are still in great shape despite helping me do construction and farm work when paying for my undergrad degree. They were the most comfortable shoes/boots I'd ever worn, from the first moment I put them on. "break in" wasn't really necessary. Russells won't apply because they double your stated price range and the 3 month wait wouldn't get them to you in time. But Red Wing boots seem to have a size and shape to fit almost anyone. And Red Wing often deals with those small independant shoe stores with people who know there stuff. You may wanna check there website for a dealer in your area. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a pair of LaCrosse Burly and a pair of the old style LaCrosse Buckmasters (before they went to the funky looking molded stuff) and I love them. Had both pair 4 years and they have held up good and are very comfortable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a pair of LaCrosse Burly and a pair of the old style LaCrosse Buckmasters (before they went to the funky looking molded stuff) and I love them. Had both pair 4 years and they have held up good and are very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Dale and Nicolisd--

Thanks for the extra advice. I'm going to look through this week and buy on Friday, so I'm open to more teaching till then :lol: I'm down with the flu, so I have nothing to do but web around Shotgunworld, etc.

Jeff23

G

·
I must be older then the hills.I bought my hunting boots back in 1972 or 1973, payed 20.00 bucks for them.The funny part is I was only making $3.00 an hour ,boy did my wife throw a fit.I still use the boots,no telling how many highheel shoes she has bought since then.Now I get to rag on her,yeah right .Rockies kind of sound good to me,yeah , I need a new pair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.