Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys--

My boots are killing me. I bought a new pair of Cabela's insulated hunters on sale last year, but they hurt my feet and drive my knees and leg muscles right up a wall. They are amazingly flat, thin-soled and unsupporting of the arch--even when I put pretty good arch supports in 'em. This year I want to get a new pair, NOT Cabela's--would like to spend in the 90-110 dollar range. I generally like some light to medium weight insulation (like thinsulate) and some kind of breathable yet waterproof upper (along the lines of Gore-Tex, but it doesn't have to be brand name). Comfort is optimal--my present pair are like ^%$#@*& torture instruments, but I can't afford $200 plus for Danners, much as I'd like to have 'em. The three companies that have caught my eye (all have boots with the features and price I'm looking for) are Rocky boots, La Crosse, and Wolverine. Any experience with these brands? Other recommendations?

If you'd like to help a fellow shotgunworld poster, this would be my moment of need! Chime in quickly if you can--I would like to order soon and start breaking em in a bit before grouse and small game opens, then finish the job chasing around after the partridges (not that I need the insulation then, but its a great break in!)

Jeff

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Jeff,
I'm on my second pair of Red Head Uplanders and they have been great. They only have 100grains of Thinsulate but I've worn them in some pretty cold weather with good Remington socks and they were fine. They are waterproof and have a nice look to them.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Redwing makes the best boots. (experienced opinion)

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I work out in the cold and wet, and snow and from my experience, Walmart boots work as well as any.. but then again until a couple of years ago I wore tennis shoes for everything including wading knee deep snow hunting.

yes I do have hot natured feet and yes they do have a certain aroma to them...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think if you look around you can find a decent pair of danners for around $110. I know my Danners weren't any more than that. I would try and save up a little more, because you will have them for a long long time. It took me about 4 years to wear my first pair out. That included backpacking, hiking, construction work and what not. Actually all I wore out was the vibram sole. And I cut the leather across the toe on a metal bur. They are still usable though. I still use them for logging or construction etc... My new pair doesn't have much thinsulate but they are gore-tex. You should keep in mind that no matter how expensive or well contructed a shoe is, the gore-tex eventually wears out in a relatively short period of time no matter what.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, Irish Setter is another brand I found after I first posted. Basically, I'll be using these boots for everything from upland birds to deer hunting. (NOT ducks though, of course, since I have waders--except for pass shooting at sea ducks from my boat). Where I hunt deer, it's usually on a stand and since, like Marland, I have "hot" feet, aroma and all (just ask my poor and long-suffering wife), just a couple of hundred grams of insulation and some good socks is fine. I haven't made any decision yet, hoping all who have "happy feet" will continue to chime in.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys!

Jeff23

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm a big Danner fan, have had great luck with both thier hunting and backpacking boots. Danners warranty and customer service is fantastic. I had a pair of boots about 3 years old and some of this stitching was coming lose. So I mailed them back to Danner for repair and they sent me a BRAND NEW PAIR.

Great company ... they'll get all my hunting boot $$$$$'s

·
Registered
261 Posts
:shock: I posted a reply yesterday and it is gone today. There is a post thief running amuck. Anyhow, what I said was, I am hard to fit due to short fat feet. I have the best luck with everyday shoes and buckle up overshoes (what we called artics when I was a kid). I think it is the air space that helps insulate a little. My present wore out boots were cold so I cut me some insoles out of carpet and put in them and they felt better and kept my feet warmer. I finally retired them and bought some new ones. They are a little loose fitting and that helps with keeping warm. A too tight shoe will kill your dogs in a hurry. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks BB--I did see your original post. It would be good if a few of my posts disappeared--now that I look at them, they seem a bit idiotic, but hey, what can you do but be yourself?

I can afford reasonably good boots, but BB, I heartily agree with your theory about the "too tight" ones being the real killers. Today I wrote Cabela's a complaint letter--I'm hoping they'll at least come across with a discount on some Wolverines, RedHeads, or Irish Setters. I'll tell you one thing: I am NOT going to pay $300 plus for a pair of Filsons. Yes, I can scrape up the money, but no--they just can't be THAT good! Filson's makes great stuff, but they are just preying on corporate types and professionals (I guess I'm one of the latter fools) who don't want to shop around. Damnit, I have a friend, who teaches at Gettysburg College, who has a pair of 12" Filson's boots, Filson's chaps, Filson's suspenders, a Filson's shirt, Filson's shooting vest, Filson's jacket, and a hat that says "Filson's." His wife, who went to grad school with us and is kind of a babe, probably wears Filson's thong underwear. (I digress, sorry)

It's ridiculous. Every year we go pheasant hunting, me with the same old orange vest I've had for 15 years, a Cabela's orange hat, some crappy boots that admittedly need improvement, and some old khaki pants. He just prances around showing Tim, the guide, all his new Filson's stuff and asking me if I'm picking up too many stickerburrs since I only have Wal-Mart Kahkis on instead of Filson's. Not only that, he has a really expensive Parker 12-ga double, and, to top it all off, he's a better shot than me and publishes in better academic journals.

What would you guys do??? I am considering laying a VC pit trap for him with punji sticks that would penetrate even Filsons. I wonder if Filson's sells punji sticks; probably do but they cost $900 apiece. Unfortunately, he's always nice to me and asks if I'd like to shoot his Parker. Like a moron, I always do. Usually I miss with it, so he gives me some pointers on wingshooting, which I was doing before he had his first nosebleed. Then we go home and cook the annual pheasant feast, everyone has a great time, and he shows me the latest book that he published with Oxford University Press. I say, "um, ya, I want to work on a book some day." We clean the guns, and he brushes all his Filson's stuff and waves it triumphantly around for all to worship. It all ends with promises to come back next year.

See how much I need these new boots? I just want some comfort and self-respect!

Thanks to all who have taken pity on me and tried to give advice! Argh :lol:

Jeff23

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Jeff23,
Me and a friend of mine call those boys "tweedy". Chippewa or Filson, Tin Cloth pants, shooting gloves, whenever I see that stuff I want to puke (no offense to those of you that are tweedy).

Back to boots, I was looking on ebay and saw a couple pair of Danners out there at "reasonable prices" but I will reiterate, the Redheads I own are some of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch of them from Rocky - Danner and even a pair of Justin Work boots that someone told me to try. If you're not going through ungodly muck here is another, guaranteed comfy boot:
http://www.nike.com/acg/flash.jsp?ref=global_home
Air Tumalo or Air Senoran or Air Karstan Z: I've got some friends in Oregon that wear these baby's for upland hunting.
http://nikeacg.altrec.com/shop/detail/13764/ACG

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks JLP--

Practical advice is the best antidote for ranting self-pity. I'll get off my butt and buy some better boots soon! I'll look at the links you gave too. Much appreciated, as were all the posts by BB and others. The Redheads look like a great middle road.

And my friend? Tweedy *******!

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeff,
Hope this isn't too late but try sierratradingpost.com. they carry a lot of closeouts and discontinued gear at great prices. Hit "outdoor gear" and check everything from boots, pants vests, coats, etc. I started using them several years ago for backpacking equipment. They ship fast and quality was excellent. I always check for size and fit at a retailer, then order from them. Congrats on the new moderator position.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys--thanks for all the excellent advice--I meant to post back and let you know what happened. I sent some stuff back to Cabela's and had like 70$ store credit, so I bought the Danners. They came and they fit like a dream. Geez what a diff from the old ones! They have gore-tex uppers and 200 gram thinsulate. Feels like walking around in sneakers almost. I went out and was scouting around the woods a bit in them, veerrry comfy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.