Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm going to get flamed a little for this one but I've got a question. On the general forum there is a discussion about shooting seasonings at birds. Well I remember getting shot with rock salt (ouch) and someone mentioned putting peppercorns into a hull. Well here's my delima. I want to try both loads (salt and corns) but not for hunting, I'd just like to load a couple hulls with each and pattern them for poops and giggles. :lol:

Any ideas on a powder charge in a Winchester AA?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To try and get more of this less dense material in the shell I would use a 1 1/4 wad but, if you don't have any then standards should be fine.

I would start off at 14-16 grains. Any less might not fire properly. Even 10 grains should be plenty but, just have fun with it. Just have a wad knocker handy just in case.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Don't cut the powder down for such a light payload, the pressure is going to be very low anyway. 19 grains of something fast burning, like Nitro 100 should do it. That is my 3/4 oz. lead 12 gage load.

What used to be done, way back when, was to simply dump the shot out of any store bought shell and fill 'er back up with rock salt. (Fiber wads back then, of course!)

Still the way I would do it today, if I were going to make some up. Powder, nitro card, fiber wad and fill 'er up! Of course, I would clean the barrel with hot water and then oil it immediately after use. I load quite a few black powder shells this way today. (And some of that salt is going to get out of the plastic wad, if you use it, on the way out of the barrel!)

BTW, my 3/4 oz. loads with normal plastic wads or fiber wads compare pretty well in velocity, with the fiber being only about 75 FPS slower.

Clyde

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Jumkers;

This sounds like fun but I would like to give a heads up just in case and only because I was directly involved and saw the result.

Back in about 1951 I helped the WY G&F make a film. It was a duck hunting film and it's been so long ago I do not remember the moral. But one thing I do remember distinctly, probably because I was so young at the time is the outcome of shooting a duck with only a primer, part of a hull (cut down) and the powder and wad.
I do not remember why the G&F had cut the hulls down to just above the wad but I believe it was to make a from of blank cartridge.
The warden and I DO remember his name after the filming had been completed still had one of the "blank" rounds and he said, "I'm going to scare that duck". It was a mallard drake and it was swimming about 20 ft in front of us. He shot and the wad hit and killed that duck.
To say that everyone was more than a little shocked is truly an understatement. I don't know what became of th4 warden as he clearly broke the law, but I know it has stuck with me always. I was 8 or 9 yrs old at the time and the warden was our neighbor.

What I'm getting at is please be very carefu and have fun but remember there is a significant powder charge and there will be wads in your column.

As I am sure you would be aware and careful, but this is a reminder of something meant to be fun with a serious (for the duck) consequences.

Have fun and let us know if it really does season as well as shoot.

UF

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill! Blanks, rock salt or a trimmed shell.

I remember guys doing the same thing except leaving just a tad of hull un cut just ahead of the wad. They used the upper part of the shell as a shot cup, Hoping it would be like a slug. I remember my dad talking about using large split shot and crimping them onto a nylon fishing line and then loading them up. It made a petty tight "group" I'm told! :roll:

BP

·
Registered
370 Posts
Has anyone actually shot a load of rock salt? The reason I ask is that I find it hard to believe it would hold up to the shock of being fired. If lead is deformed, how does rock salt hold up? I'd think it would be turned to dust...

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill! Blanks, rock salt or a trimmed shell.

I remember guys doing the same thing except leaving just a tad of hull un cut just ahead of the wad. They used the upper part of the shell as a shot cup, Hoping it would be like a slug. I remember my dad talking about using large split shot and crimping them onto a nylon fishing line and then loading them up. It made a petty tight "group" I'm told! :roll:

BP
Yeah, I have heard of people making their own "Whistlers"! Don't think I would try it! Almost 60 years ago now, I used some fish weights as well. Bell shaped one ouncers with the steel center wire removed. I still have that old twist steel barreled Ithaca of dads, that I shot them in. We won't talk anymore about that kid experiment.

And my dad claimed he and his cousin loaded brass cases with shot, then poured melted paraffin into it. Said it held together, way out there, but would be losing the nose or outer pellets in flight. Supposedly punch right through 2 X 12s way out there, but have a few pellet holes around the main hole.

As to rock salt pulverizing at firing, I doubt the pressure and starting shock would be anywhere near what it is with the greater weight of lead. Most of it ikely doesn't go beyond granular.

Clyde

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rick Lewis said:
Has anyone actually shot a load of rock salt? The reason I ask is that I find it hard to believe it would hold up to the shock of being fired. If lead is deformed, how does rock salt hold up? I'd think it would be turned to dust...
I've loaded and shot them (use steel shot wads to protect your barrel from the salt if you don't intend to clean the barrel out within lets say 15 min. of firing the load --- salt attracts rust).

Yes, if you mix cream of wheat in with the rock salt you can get it to come out the end of the barrel still as whole peices of salt not just table-salt like powder.

I've been on both ends of rock salt loads --- They do work.

When loading extremely low mass loads I just usually throw something together with 14-15grains of Bullseye and CCI209M primers --- that combination of powder/primer will work with just an empty wad in the hull and still will be safe with 3/4oz. of lead shot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Case said:
At the price of peppercorns, I think I'd stick to lead.
I have no idea why but the deadpan way you wrote that had me laughing so hard I had to run downstairs before I peed in my computer chair! :eek: :D :shock:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have always wondered if rock salt is a cure for chicken stealing. Anyone want to tackle that one?

And years ago I hunted with a fellow who would make up a 15" spiderweb of 10# test mono and crimp BB sized split shot onto it before stuffing it into a 12 mag case. These loads were about 1.5 oz. and deadly on high flying geese. It is hard to judge distance directly overhead, but I'm sure some of his shots were 200 feet straight up. And he seldom failed to make such a shot. A lot of them were broken wings, but his grape shot worked.

·
Registered
384 Posts
jrfjr said:
Here's a video link showing rock salt shot at various distances.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm
Guy made two mistakes:

#1 ~ Proper way to load rocksalt is in 3" shells with magnum steel shot wads. More salt, tighter patterns, and no worries about the barrel metal.

#2 ~ Powder load must be designed for the rock-salt payload. He took the shot out of 1-1/4oz. hunting loads and replaced it with salt. Those loads use slower burning magnum hunting powders and he probably got less then 1,000fps. at the barrel with that light of a shot payload. You need a very fast burning powder along the lines of Bullseye that puts the payload out the end of the barrel at about 1,450fps.

~ Such loads as I described will make his cardboard target cast a pok-a-dot shadow at 20 yards no problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts