Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to reload and am waiting on my press, a new freind of mine said you shoot 5/8s of an ounce for trap how does this do? Do you have any thing that could help out a new reloader?

Luke95

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I shoot a 5/8 ounce 20 Ga load for trap, I worked up the load for my wife as she wanted a load with less recoil. The load worked so good I use it all the time, for 16 yard trap, skeet, and for dove hunting. In 12 Ga I use a 3/4 ounce load for 16 yard trap, skeet, and dove hunting. I do not notice any difference in my scores with the light loads as compared to the 1 1/8 ounce factory loads. I do know I can shoot 400 rounds in a day and it will have no effect on me whatsoever. The recoil is barely noticeable with the O/U's and nonexistent with the SA's. The only thing being a problem is that my loads will not work in a recoil SA, they only work in a gas SA, and not all gas SA's, at that. You would just have to try them out and see if they will work in your gun. PM me, we will talk.

cdb

·
Registered
964 Posts
So what powder are you using? I've been using American select for a while now and really like it for my 7/8 oz. 12ga loads. Only thing is, I had to use one bushing smaller than the min. load listed on the web site because it was so hot it was turning my claybuster wads inside out at the min. listed load. Stepped down to a 29 (mec) and works great.
Some friends of mine are shooting the 3/4 oz loads with a filler (a pinto bean) and have real good luck with it. I'm going to try that next, but I don't have a 3/4 oz bar at the moment.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Beemanjohn said:
So what powder are you using? I've been using American select for a while now and really like it for my 7/8 oz. 12ga loads. Only thing is, I had to use one bushing smaller than the min. load listed on the web site because it was so hot it was turning my claybuster wads inside out at the min. listed load. Stepped down to a 29 (mec) and works great.
Some friends of mine are shooting the 3/4 oz loads with a filler (a pinto bean) and have real good luck with it. I'm going to try that next, but I don't have a 3/4 oz bar at the moment.
I use Promo in my 12 Ga 3/4 ounce loads, I use a Cheerio, just right for the 1/8 ounce lost going from 7/8 to 3/4. I used to use American Select, it is clean burning, but it is also $15.00 more for an 8 # jug. Promo works fine, and actually uses a few grains less than AS. In the 20 & 16 I use Universal, and Green Dot. I never had problems with AS doing what is happening with you, how many grains are you using?

cdb

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I need more information Luke, are we talking 12 Ga or 20 Ga, also how heavy are we talking, and what hull?

cdb

·
Registered
964 Posts
I started using AS because I wanted a clean powder that would work in both 12 and 20. I was using 18.6 gr. in a AA hull (#30 bushing) but it was laying the pedals of my wads backwards like a pealed bannana. So I went down to a #29 bushing and my loads started acting just like the factory ammo I bought to compare it to. About the same recoil, and report, and the wads looked like they should. I just bought 8lbs from sportsmans warehouse for $109. Not quite as cheap as promo, but not far off.
I know two guys who load the 3/4 oz load, one uses a pinto bean, the other uses a Cheerio. Both say thier way is best. Go figure.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Beemanjohn said:
I started using AS because I wanted a clean powder that would work in both 12 and 20. I was using 18.6 gr. in a AA hull (#30 bushing) but it was laying the pedals of my wads backwards like a pealed bannana. So I went down to a #29 bushing and my loads started acting just like the factory ammo I bought to compare it to. About the same recoil, and report, and the wads looked like they should. I just bought 8lbs from sportsmans warehouse for $109. Not quite as cheap as promo, but not far off.
I know two guys who load the 3/4 oz load, one uses a pinto bean, the other uses a Cheerio. Both say thier way is best. Go figure.
WOW, I was using 20.5 AS and that was perfect for my guns. I use cheerios because they are cheaper and more in a box. I would have a bean field with all the rounds I shoot!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cdb

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
Deer like beans...I think Doves do too! :D

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Luke95 said:
I am using a gc hull with Any wad haven't bought them yet and haven't bought any powders yet.

Luke95
Still a little more info needed.

What Ga 12, or 20? How heavy a load are we talking for the 20 Ga 2.75 inch shell you have 3/4 ounce target, 7/8 ounce target, 7/8 ounce field load, and a 1 ounce field load.

For the 12 Ga 2.75 inch shell you have 1 1/2 ounce Magnum loads, 1 3/8 ounce Heavy field, 1 1/4 ounce field, 1 1/8 ounce field, 1 1/8 ounce target, 1 ounce target, and 7/8 ounce target.

cdb

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
20 gauge with 3/4 of an ounce of 9s and 7.5s and a field load using a 2.75 shell with an ounce of buffered 6s

Luke95

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Luke, PM sent

cdb

·
Registered
964 Posts
This is a great example of why you need to work up your own loads. What works with one guys gun, hulls, powder and primers, may not work in yours. A different gun, or a different lot of powder, or hulls, and a different brand of wad or primer may push your load over the max.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.