Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone loaded sabot slug ammo to velocities over 1500fps ? I've purchased components and data from BPI and Gun Servicing INC.,but thus far my shooting results haven't been real good. Accuracy and velocity in the 20ga. were disappointing. Rem. Win. and Fed. factory load light bullet sabot slugs to 1900 fps nowadays. I know I wont be able to reach that kind of velocity because factories use non canister grade powders. But i'd like to get to 1600-1700fps with 250-300gr.bullets in sabots in 12and 20ga rifled shotguns with decent accuracy. Anybody got any Ideas ?
Scott

·
Registered
493 Posts
Scott,
whos data are you using? BP or Gun Servicing? And whos sabots and gas seals are you using?
The 20ga. sabots from BP won't take the 300gr bullet. The sabots from Gun Servicing will.
I find BP data sucks, but the data from gun servicing is right on.
What's the big deal about high velocity? I find, the higher the velocity, the lower the accuracy.
I'm loading the 20ga. with Cheddite hulls, 28gr Blue Dot, CCS gas seal, 4 - 1/8 hard cards, CCS sabot with 300gr. Hornady XTP bullet, seat to 70lbs pressure and roll crimp. Velocity about 1450fps and 2-3 in. groups at 75yds. I've killed deer out to 120yds with this load. Why would you need more velocity?
Later....Hank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hank,
Thanks for the response. I'm using new Fiocchi hulls,Bpi obturator gas seal and card wads.I only loaded 27gr. of bluedot. I bought the sabots a couple years ago. I can't tell the difference between the BPI sabots and the Gun Servicing sabots. They're both pink, for 45 cal.bullets. Are you measuring seating pressure with the indicator on the MEC wad seater or are you using some kind of scale ? I know I shouldn't worry about hi velocity, accuracy is more important.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Scott,
I didn't think it would make a difference, but the Cheddite hulls give me better groups than the Fiocchi.
The card you are using, are they the nitro cards? Do not use cork or fiber wads for fillers, they will give you inconsitant groups.
Yes, I use the pointer on my Mec press for my pressure indicator. It may not be totaly accurate, but if you do it the same way each time, you will be consistant, and that's the important part.
The diference between the Gun Servicing sabots is, they are deeper. Thats why they will take the extra length of the 300gr bullet. If you try to use the BP sabots with a 300gr. bullet, it will swell the hull and it will not chamber in the gun.
I have loaded with the 250gr bullet, with 54gr IMR 4227, CCS gas seal, 2 - 1/8" hard cards CCS sabot with 250gr HornadyXTP bullet seat to 70lb. roll crimp. velocity 1625fps. But not as accurate as the other load. Plus, I like the 300gr. bullet better.
I've also been loading with the 300gr Hornady SST muzzleloader bullet, shoots about 25fps faster and good accuracy, but you can't buy them in bulk. I had to buy them in a 20 pack with the 50cal. sabots. Adds to the overall cost to loading them, at about $1.15 a shot. Plus, you have to be careful that the point of the bullet doesn't stick out past the roll crimp. But they do shoot good.
later......Hank

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do they have an internet address? Or a web site where I can check them out. And anyone else have any sabot recipies? Or anyother place to find sabots or components to reload them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Gun Servicing doesn't have a web site anymore. Chris Young, the owner, had a stroke a while back and is taking it slow till he recovers. They still sell the sabots and all the components you will need to load them, they also sell loaded ammo.
If you need data for the CCS sabots, I have it in 12 and 20ga. If you want to load 20ga, these are the ones I would recommend.
e-mail me if you want the data or more info.
If you want to load 12ga. check out www.slugsrus.com
They have a starter kit for about $25 that includes a roll crimp tool. The kit comes with everything you need to load 25 rounds, except the powder.
These slugs are the most accurate 12ga slugs I've loaded so far. They also have good customer support if you should need it. Contact Rich or Pam Knoster.
Ballistic Products also has an assortment of slugs.
Later.....Hank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts