Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a right handed shooter having problems with high two. My questions is where to look when you call for the bird, I tried holding 1/3 out and looking just left of my gun. The bird come out and passed my barrel. The next round I held closer and looking almost in the window and broke it easily.

So what do you guys do for High 2.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Todd Bender's suggestions are always a good place to start, but even he freely admits that for many people, they are just that: starting places. Every one is a bit different, and may need slight modifications.

I find it works best for me if my hold point is just a bit further out than 1/3 way, and my look point is about half-way (or perhaps just a bit more) between the gun and the house.

Try different things, see which ones work best for you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hold about 1/3 of the way out and shift my eyes about half way back. I hold tight until I actually see the target and don't really see a lead. I move as I see the target and basically shoot at its nose. If I have any lead at all, it is very little. I have a friend who shoots sustained lead everywhere but high 2. For high 2 he points directly into the window and shoots swing thru. Bender gives a good starting point. However, I would take his starting point and slightly vary hold and eye positions until you find what works for you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Stripes,

If you are getting beat by holding 1/3 way out and not getting beat by holding closer to the house, it sound to me that you are leaving on the "call" rather than on seeing the target.

Try holding 1/3 out and actually see the bird before any gun movement is made. Practice high two only and have the puller not pull a few targets when you call for them. Notice if you have already started your swing.

If you are one who likes to "troll" then start at the house and move on the call.

Do what works best for your style and try to be consistent.
With confidence and a little practice, you will break the target consistently.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
With all due respect to Bel_dad...if you are a third out and getting beat, move your look point back more. Me, I hold about a third and for my reactions I look almost back into the window.

The distance between hold and look gives you the time to see and recognize the bird and move and match speed. If getting beat, increase this distance but I wouldn't move the hold much further out than a third, remember we still want to hit this target before the stake so we can also shoot it that way in doubles. Try looking back a bit further. Also, make SURE you are no higher than the bottom of the window on your hold.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I hold parallel to the face of the house or just inside parallel (towards the house)--or perpendicular to the baseline, however you want to think about it. I look just a fuzz left of my barrel and while I'm not trolling, I'm moving on my call. That is my way. You must find your own path. Generally, if you're getting beat, you need to move in. I know it's counterintuitive, but try it.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Stephen... LOL, thanks... I look all the way to the house, and hold a little R of straight out (3 or 4 feet). But if I'm getting beat, I move my hold point, further R on H2, L on L6. Gives more time to get the barrel moving. If you move your hold point in when you are getting beat, IMO, it will just get by you faster, turning you into a swing through shooter, because you now have even less time to get your barrel moving than you had when you were getting beat.

Stephen, please correct me if I am in error, but it seems to me, the hold point and where you look are different, as I don't look down the barrel while I wait for the bird. but look at the window. As I see it, the hold point is the place you aim your barrel while you wait for the bird, not where you look. That's the way I see it anyway...

Watching Mayes is interesting, he holds 1/2 way to the stake, and breaks'em about 3' later... well before the stake. Must be nice to be that quick.

Now Stripes, I will tell you both Stephen and Mike have better skeet scores than I do. :lol: But if you want to know something about hemispheric spondylosclerosis... I'm your man! :shock:

bd

Edit: Black... (this has been a test... thank you. :lol: )

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
BD....I'm guessing that if your getting beat that far out, your trying to start and drive the gun with your arms and not you legs. It's really more about picking up a clear target with your eyes that reflexes. Most peoples reflexes are pretty close especially you young bucks!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Ah... Thank you for the tip... However, I'm not getting beat... It was Stripes who wrote he was getting beat on H2. H2 is one of my better shots... I'm more likely to drop a H1 or a L7 as of late. That L7 has been kicking my butt for the longest time. Think I have it now, but it was quite painful to run all the way around to L7 and shank one, especially THAT one... for a 24. In getting misses here, I have become too cautious, letting the bird get in too close, measuring the whole while... a sure recipe for disaster... Especially as I mostly shoot 410, which probably has a 4-5" pattern at 15-18'.

bd

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
BD...I'm confused. You were talking about trouble with L7, then said:

I have become too cautious, letting the bird get in too close, measuring the whole while
What bird are you letting get in too close??

As for H2, I'm another who holds pretty much parallel to the house...and I look just off the left side of my barrels. I will occassionally adjust my hold "outwards" slightly as I deem necessary for me...dependant upon a few variables that come into play now and then. But I NEVER adjust my hold "inwards" past parallel to the face of the house.

I'm very fortunate in that I seem to have been born with great peripheral vision and panther like reflexes. :lol: And at 57, it appears I've still got 'em. I shoot H2 "sustained" and can easily break it half way to the stake if I want to. All though I don't normally.....unless just fooling around. The much younger guys at my club just shake their heads when I do that to freak them out. :twisted: :lol: But that target is fast enough...I prefer not to try to rush it anymore and usually break it around 8-10 ft before the stake....approx.

Bottom line......experiment. Find your own personal "happy zone" and stick with it if it works.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
OV, I"ve been doing that a lot lately, thanks... Probably the long hrs, with little sleep.

What Ive been having trouble with is H7, couldn't hit it with a baseball bat for months. Hope, think, prey I have it fixed. Haven't been able to shoot for a couple of weeks, and probably won't be able to until after 29 November because of school, so will know more then.

bd

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
BD - Mike is the one who suggested moving in closer on the hold if getting beat. This doesn't make sense to me, on the other hand Mike is young (and I'm not) and probably has great reflexes. The closer hold maybe triggers him to make a more forceful move, hence he moves in a tad if getting beat.??

The reason I suggested he move his look point in versus move his hold point out, is he stated he was looking just off of the barrel and getting beat. If he moves hold out, continues to look just off the barrel, then he still has the same reaction period and he's probably still going to get beat, just from a different starting point.

But take it all with a grain of salt...I'm just a club shooter.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Stephen... makes perfect sence to me, and I understand now what you were saying, in both reguards.

bd
Who's new favorite CD is Bill Medley's (the last righteous brother) new CD, "damn near righterous." WOW... love it! :lol:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
As my screen name sugests I love high 2 so I want to respond.

I plant me feet facing just left of the center stake.
That is my projected break point.

I then mount my gun and wind back to the high house and look just right of the window. I shoot low gun so at this point I drop my gun off my shoulder.

"Pull" mount move shoot. I swing my gun along the path the bird is traveling and right through. when I see it go past my barrel I pull the trigger and keep swinging. the target is crushed before the center stake!

This is what works for me I don't think of a lead I just swing through and fire. Pick your break point and square yourself to that point so your not off balance when you get there.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
My friend is trying to shoot H2 low gun, swing through, and ends up shooting late, spot shoots, then yanks the gun off his shoulder as soon as the trigger is pulled. Well, you guessed it, he misses a lot, and he gets so angry I suspect he just might throw his gun in the lake one day... I had him shoot high gun, sustained lead, showed him the hold point, showed him the look point, and the break point. He crushed the bird 8' before the stake, and promptly went back to missing them low gun, swing through... He said he gave high gun/sustained a try for 5 weeks last summer, and didn't improve his scores. (He was shooting 22's) So he's back to shooting low gun/swing through and scoring 17's, but for some reason, he still insists on shooting low gun/swing through.

You can lead a horse to water.... :lol:

bd

·
Registered
505 Posts
Stripes, I'll add my two cents. I usually don't have trouble with high two. I'm a right handed shooter and use a patch over my left eye. I can still see out of my left eye when not looking close to the barrel so I start the gun one third out and use my left eye to see the high house window. As the bird comes out I pick it up, start to move and because of the patch as I loose sight with my left eye my right eye is picking it up. I can take a fairly relaxed shot and still break the bird on my side of the field. I like to see the bird exit the window myself so in the other side of the field, low 6 I will look to the front of the window as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lots of different opinions here.

My hold point is halfway to station 8. I also like to hold a couple of feet below the line of the window, unless the wind dictates a different elevation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since We're on the topic , i'd like to ask
Do You :

a) keep both eyes open tracking and shooting target ?

b) tracking with 2 eyes , aim-shoot with one ?

c) track , aim , shoot with one eye open ?

People do all three , just wondering about your preference . Personally i always shoot low gun with both eyes open from start to finish with great results ,where most folks rather point- shoot with only one eye. I won't change my ways , but which style would be easier to practice for a beginner ??

Jack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts