Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a discussion on the merits, both gun and manufacturer, of the Blaser F3, Krieghoff K-80, Perazzi MX-8, Kolar, and any other high end favorites, from any of you guys lucky enough to own one & shoot it regularly...

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
I would go get a BIG bowl of popcorn to see this flick, but I've seen it too many times before. :roll: :roll:

·
Banned
30,310 Posts
I own a couple of Caesar Guerini shotguns, and consider them in the same class as the Blaser, Perazzi, and Krieghoff. You can even buy a ten thousand dollar Guerini if you want, but you can't buy one without utterly top shelf finish, bluing, Turkish Circassian walnut, and a lifetime warranty that's by far and away the best in the industry.

If you'll wait long enough, Guerinis will cost as much as the others, and then nobody will forget to include them in a list of luxury target guns. :wink:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I ain't got no dog in this fight! There are so many good guns to choose from it is all a matter of personal preference and fit. It only took me 69 yrs to learn this. NUFF SAID!!!!!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Shot them all except the Blaser. I have a favorite, but this isn't my fight.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I was exactly where you are now, three years ago. I was coming into some money, enough for a really nice shotgun, hopefully one that would last the rest of my life. I looked at all the good ones, shot as many as I could - Krieghoff, Perazzi, Kolar, CG, Blaser and more. Asked many, many questions here and elsewhere and I got many, many good and useful answers. And I eventually went with the Blaser F3.

I've been very happy with my F3. It fit perfectly right out of the box, and I can shoot it all day with ease. Unlike some others, I've had absolutely no issues with my gun in over 10,000 shots. I've added a set of 20-ga barrels and, just as advertised, they drop right in and balance/swing exactly like the 12-ga barrels. I've spent most of that 3 years getting strange looks, having people ask to see and shoot it, which I gladly accommodate.

A great many people have also been bold enough to tell me to my face that I've wasted considerable amounts of my money on a flash-in-the-pan, overpriced POS. Oddly enough, some of those very same guys are now carrying F3s of their own, now that Blaser is very aggressively sponsoring SC shooters.

One thing you will not get from Blaser is a warm, fuzzy feeling. Their customer service has been cold, unresponsive and uninviting. If you are not a nationally-ranked shooter who attends the big shoots, you may be ignored and find it near impossible to successfully contact Blaser or to locate accessories or service for your gun. If this aspect of owning a high-quality gun is important to you, I'd look elsewhere. This is my only complaint surrounding my Blaser and it has fallen, so far, on deaf ears... not being a nationally-ranked shooter, my opinions are obviously easy to ignore. Now that Blaser is handled in the US by yet another group of folks (I believe the 4th group in the last 3 years), I can hope that this will change, but I haven't seen it so far.

If I did it all over again, would I go with Blaser again? Based on just the quality and the performance of the gun, absolutely I would. There are, as always, parts of the experience I'd rather be different, but I've been very pleased with the gun. It is everything I wanted, and it has met or exceeded all my expectations. I can honestly say that in the last 3 years I've not even looked at another gun - and for me, that's pretty remarkable.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Over the years I have been fortunate to own many Berettas, 4 different Perazzi's, a Kolar and a K80. I used them on a weekly basis and never abused them but I put a lot of shells through them. The Kolar is my favorite followed by K80. I prefer the Kolar because of the feel and low recoil. The Kolar is an excellent gun. The Perazzi and Kolar are very easy to take a part and clean (firing pins, hammers etc.). I would not try it with the K80. Now if you are looking for resale that is a different ball game. I sold 2 Perazzis for more $$ than I paid for them but Perazzi has had some huge $$ increases and I do not believe I got lucky with both sales. Krieghoffs always hold excellent resale and Kolars are not so good (I do not know why!). I have never owned a Blaser. I would like to try one but there is no Blaser owners in my area. Just my 2 cents. Mike

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
fortycaliberglock said:
Kreighoff, a has been and little value for the money.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly someone who doesn't know...

THe K-80 is the only shotgun you can buy, shoot the heck out of for a decade or more, and sell it at a profit!

Hardly a "has been"... it's in the hands of most top shooters!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have never owned a Perazzi or a Blaser and I am sure they are fine guns. But from my experince A K80 is a great gun I have owned 3 in trap guns. Are the far better than other guns NO. I have a Beretta DT10L right now and it has been flawless. Is it the best gun made NO. I have a Kolar trap combo Its a great gun I fell it is better quality than Krieghoff But thats my opinion. Its not the best No. The best gun made is all in the owner it depends on what works best for you. When you get in to the highend guns none of them are junk they are all of great quality. I am getting ready to buy another K80 in a pro sporter I want to try one I am new to the Sporting Clays and I am not sure on what is the best gun for me. In trap it was a Kolar.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
nody said:
How about a discussion on the merits, both gun and manufacturer, of the Blaser F3, Krieghoff K-80, Perazzi MX-8, Kolar, and any other high end favorites, from any of you guys lucky enough to own one & shoot it regularly...
I was lucky enough to buy a DT10 and F3 with some really nice wood on par with the Pizzeria, I mean Perazzi MX8 I bought as well. Fit and finish were fine. Handling wise, I didn't notice anything significantly to tell me the MX8 handles way better than a DT10 or F3. For that amount of money, something should stand out. It didn't. It has the same ole' swing as my DT10. So given the MX8's higher price tag, for me, the MX8 wasn't a financially sound investment. Oh well, everyone makes a financial mistake once in their lifetime. But my stalker will be here soon to try to dig up old posts of mine and trying to prove I don't know what I'm talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: Sold the F3 after shooting a friends K80 and liked the heavier weight. My DT10 is about as light I would want to shoot. I find the F3 32" too light for my tastes now and feels lighter than my DT10. I don't want barrel weights on my guns, hence why I sold the F3 vice getting their barrel weights.

I like my K80 ProSporter. I'll be keeping that. Very different handling characteristics from my DT10, which I can adapt to easily and enjoy shooting as equally as good.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Mustangdriver said:
sernv99:
Didn't you also have a Zoli Z-gun? How did that compare to the others you've owned?
yes I did, I would say it was on par with my DT10, F3 and MX8 fit and finish wise. I didn't notice any factory blemishes or "cheap" woodworking or metal work. The wood was absolutely gorgeous. Handling wise, it was a nose heavier than the F3. I would say it handled about the same as the DT10 and MX8 and felt about the same, weight wise. I mean, yeah I didn't shoot it for years, as some would suggest to do to make a "credible" :lol: opinion on a gun but I don't need to test drive a car for years to tell the salesman that this car doesn't really suit my tastes :lol:

I only sold the Z as to help fund my K80. I didn't want to pay for my K80 out of pocket so I had to sacrifice my F3 and Z to get my K80. If I had a lot of money, I would have kept the Z and F3. If you are seriously considering one, Larry Friedman has some great deals on his inventory right now, cheapest I have seen amongst all other Zoli dealers.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I know better than to join this fray but what the hell, its raining and Im bored! I DO have ALOT of experience and I can share MY opinions, just remember thats just what they are MY opinions.
1) I owned one of the 1st Blaser F3's - IMO the gun is well built, AWESOME triggers (strikers) horrible barrels (convergance problems) for me the gun was a dead fish in my hands, it had no life to it and so it went by the wayside.
2) Perazzi - I own 2 MX8's - I LOVE the way a Perazzi moves and feels, that being said I have not been able commit to a Perazzi for my go to gun. The reason K80 :wink:
3) K80 - UGLY, built like a tank, I cant take one apart and work on it, BUT I have never needed too, FOR ME the gun just works and keeps on working. Its like being married to an ugly woman thats a great wife - no way to get rid of her.
4) Kolar - shooftest shooting O/U I have ever shot. I like that is American made, I dont like the way they move and I dont like their re-sale value!
5) Beretta DT10 - my shooting buddy shot one for 2 years and did he ever shoot it well, but he had HELL keeping the damn thing closed. I dont like them, too light, whippy and I think they recoil to much. However, I think Dan Carlise,Richard Faulds and Will Fennell would dis-agree with me.

There you go boys have at it!

RTA48

·
Banned
30,310 Posts
Sometime about four or five years ago I decided that having bought everything for my wife and children that I could think of, and every toy for myself that I ever wanted as a kid (except that 455 Trans Am, which I no longer want), that it was time for me to have at least one late model luxury shotgun. Since I already owned dozens of shotguns, including a long barreled custom engraved Superposed, I wuddn't in no hurry. I'd find one used, with a pad added, and for less than five grand I've have a Perazzi or Krieghoff, or maybe a DT 10 or a Blazer. This wasn't a pawn shop item, so I would haunt the sporting clays ranges and pick one up.

Over the course of a couple of years I shot several Krieghoffs, a Perazzi, a Blazer, and a DT 10. I discovered to my chagrin that none of them shot or handled just a helluva lot better than my Superposed, or higher end Berettas,,,,although they were higher grade guns. I fell in love all over again with my big target grade Valmet 412ST with the killer wood, and didn't consider a Krieghoff worth four of five of them.

I bought the first Caesar Guerini that I saw on sight, although I did get to test drive it. 34" inch barrels, fit and finish just to die for, color case hardened action, nice line engraving, perfect checkering 26 lines per inch, Turkish Circassian walnut with a geniune high polish linseed oil finish, and it handled and shot as well or better as anything I've ever handled or shot. It was a demo Summit Limited , never sold at retail, price $2,650. Then I get it home, and I call Guerini to buy a couple more choke tubes, and they put Wes Lang on the phone with me, I raved about the gun, and the choke tubes and a free ball cap arrived in the mail the next day by overnight carrier. They have the best warranty in the business. Sort of like a Zippo,,,, or Wal Mart back when Sam was alive.

The next April, my wife bought me a Tiempo with 28" barrels for my birthday. Same gorgeous quality, but this time in a field gun. The barrels from the Tiempo and the Summit will interchange, and so will the forends. Every choke tube mikes out dead nuts on the money the right constriction. The inside of all barrels are given some kind of super high burnish treatment that give beyond a mirror polish. Every tiny little part, inside and out, it well thought out, fully finished and polished, and nothing anywhere, however small,,,,,is cheap. But the best thing, to me, is how they fit all this righteousness togather in one package that looks so good,,,,the way an old car looked when they got the styling down dead letter perfect, like a old Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro before the government made them put the big bumpers on them. They'll shoot both barrels in the same place, handle and shoot with the very best of shotguns.

They don't have the same "hand finished" one of a kind look that a Perazzi has (or for that matter, a nice old low mileage Superposed). They don't have the Panzer tank German feel of a Krieghoff. But if Ferrari ever made a shotgun, it would be a Guerini. I don't know if they are any better than other luxury shotguns, but I know they are the best brand new guns for the money anybody could buy at their price level, and that a Geurini is above and beyond my Citoris, Beretta 680's, RRL's, 101's, Valmets, and SKB's. A Guerini is truly a luxury shotgun,,,,it's just the cheapest one you can buy in that class. :wink:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I do not have a dog in this fight because the reason they make so many guns is to keep us looking for the "Perfect Gun". At 69 I am still looking and probably still be looking the day I pass. Then again that is why I love guns. It is the challenge.

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the naysayers, remember I didn't ask for the "best" gun; I asked for the "merits" of guns that were owned and used, and got several great responses. Thanks guys.

For the guys who think this is a redundant topic, well they all are. If one doesn't want to talk about shotguns, this is a funny place to hang out. :shock:

If there were any surprises so far, it was CG :D , Perazzi :? , and I was sorry to hear of the poor Blaser service. That seems so weak after building such an impressive shotgun. :(

Keep em comin'. :)

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Hey, when you troll like that, don't complain about the fish you catch. Funny answers just the same. Only one was correct, even though he didn't touch on the merrits thing.

The merrits that I prefer are:

1. Shoot the gun that I break the most targets with.
2. Weight, balance, triggers, stock selection all contribute to #1.
3. Reliability
4. Service
5. Resale

A K80 (except for bunker and flyers) comes the closest all around in these important issues for me. The others are a close second except for the CG, which is not in the same ball park, period (yes, I owned one).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.