Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revealing my ignorance a bit but I just recently learned that Yildiz has some offerings that are Perazzi clones with gorgeous wood and what appears to be decent metal to wood fitting. I have only known Yildiz by the very inexpensive models offered at such retail outlets as Academy Sports and Outdoors.

I searched "Yildiz" on shotgunworld and most posts have been very old. I was just wondering if any readers here own any of these Perazzi-clone Yildiz shotguns and can testify as to how they have held up as heavy use target guns, warranty issues or other comments? Apparently they are fairly popular in Europe.

At 20-25 % of the cost of a new Perazzi, they may have a niche to fill!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 2 of them, as well as a Perazzi HighTech. I purchased my 1st Yildiz ptostar just for the barrels. My Perazzi side ribs fell off and the ProStar barrels fit. I ended up loving the Yildiz so much I just shoot it, and the perazzi stays in the safe. Ballance is the same, barrels are identically weighted too 1.58kg. I just did a tear down after 10k rounds. No discernible wear. Top lever still in the same spot. I took a video of the tear down, but I haven’t edited it or put on youtube, which I plan to do. They’re an identical copy of a MX12, except the stock. I couldn’t be happier, and it looks like it’s going to hold up better than my Perazzi has.

·
Super Moderator
9,115 Posts
Revealing my ignorance a bit but I just recently learned that Yildiz has some offerings that are Perazzi clones with gorgeous wood and what appears to be decent metal to wood fitting. I have only known Yildiz by the very inexpensive models offered at such retail outlets as Academy Sports and Outdoors.

I searched "Yildiz" on shotgunworld and most posts have been very old. I was just wondering if any readers here own any of these Perazzi-clone Yildiz shotguns and can testify as to how they have held up as heavy use target guns, warranty issues or other comments? Apparently they are fairly popular in Europe.

At 20-25 % of the cost of a new Perazzi, they may have a niche to fill!
Resale value??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Has anyone patterned one of these against a Perazzi? Side by side comparison of pattern? Perazzi claims their barrels are constructed in such a way to have perfect regulation and patterns. Surely, there must be a difference.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Has anyone patterned one of these against a Perazzi? Side by side comparison of pattern? Perazzi claims their barrels are constructed in such a way to have perfect regulation and patterns. Surely, there must be a difference.
Great question. I’m certain that if we took high quality ammo and shot it through different brands of guns at paper, as long as all barrels had the same constriction, you would not be able to tell which pattern came from which gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked one up at the beginning of the year, 32" barrels
So far have just over 4k rounds through it with no issues.

As far as I can tell the barrels are well regulated (verified through pattern board and broken clays...)

I know at least 3 people who have picked up barrels to use on their Perazzi's.

Now, finish can be lacking depending on your standards, but materials used to make the gun are solid, and the internals look like they've never been fired. The wood is well above anything you'll get on a standard Beretta.
Bluing between the barrels in spots isn't 100%, and the wood could use another coat or two of oil to seal up the pores, but easily remedied and will be my winter project once the snow rolls in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my book”patterning” is defined by the distribution of shot in a 30” circle at “x” yards. An almost worthless exercise in my book as it is affected by too many variables. Now “barrel regulation” is a totally different animal, especially in O/U and SxS shotguns. EXTREMELY important that the barrels shoot in exactly the same place. If they don’t, IMHO, the gun is worthless as in most cases, the problem is very difficult to fix. I once bought a Huglu 28 gauge SXS from DeHaan. Took it out the day i got it and test fired it from 15 yards. Right barrel was spot on. Left barrel sit 10-12 inches lift of POA. Imagine how off that would be at 35 yards! Dehaan took it back and gave me a full refund. The point here is that if I paid $3500-4000 for a high end Yildiz and their customer support was lacking, I’d end up with an expensive car jack!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
They’re an identical copy of a MX12, except the stock.
They use a different locking block as well. The MX12 has rectangular lugs, and rectangular holes in the action, the Yildiz has round lugs with a flat on the bottom, and round holes in the breech face. There has been some speculation that MX12 parts will fit, but that one, which is one of the more important replacement parts, won't.

·
Registered
749 Posts
They use a different locking block as well. The MX12 has rectangular lugs, and rectangular holes in the action, the Yildiz has round lugs with a flat on the bottom, and round holes in the breech face. There has been some speculation that MX12 parts will fit, but that one, which is one of the more important replacement parts, won't.
I’ll be damned…I had my doubts but looking at this photo, you’re right. I wonder why the heck they changed that?

Camera accessory Gadget Machine Fashion accessory Cameras & optics

·
Registered
126 Posts
My new 32" mid-rib came in and it didn't fit me as it had a monte carlo stock which set me up too high on the gun [seeing too much rib]. Sent it back to my dealer here in Texas and he is getting me a flat rib sporting stock w/ adj. comb which I think will fit me just fine. I shot a Zoli mid-rib set up that way and it worked perfect for me...Can't wait for the stock to get changed out and be able to take it out and crush some clays....
PS: I will say this; the gun had some absolutely GORGEOUS wood on it.....1cas

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I wonder why the heck they changed that?
Hell of a lot easier to drill (and hopefully ream) a hole than it is to drill and broach one. It could also be EDM'ed, but that assumes one has an EDM machine, which would only really been needed for that specific operation.

It probably doesn't make much of a difference in functionality and maybe not even in service life, but it will if/when the Prostar is disco'ed and you need parts, you'd be left with welding up the old locking block at that point. It also bears the question as to what other Prostar parts are not 1:1 w/ Perazzi parts (for which Yildiz will be sole source), since it's has been mentioned numerous times they are "exact clones" with parts interchangeability.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
More surface area = less wear.

CT
?

The engagement surface must be VERY close in dimension, if not identical, to have Perazzi and Prostar barrels interchange, otherwise A barrel would fit on B action, but B barrel would not fit on A action.

The only mechanical difference I could see would be that the flat top of the Perazzi block would probably be stronger against the top of the cutout in the action (the interface on which force is applied when the gun is fired) than then round surface of the Yildiz block. I'll defer to an engineer to say which shape would be stronger in the long run, but it probably doesn't matter much either way for the force incurred.

There is actually a potential issue w/ the Yildiz design, and that's a stress riser at the corner where the locking surface meets the profile cut in the round lug. If I'm interpreting the photo correctly, the bottom drawing represents a side-profile of the Yildiz block (the top is Perazzi):

Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram

If that corner is sharp it's a potential failure point, and with the cross-section of the Yildiz block being less (the width of both should be the same, but there's less metal in a circle than a rectangle if the width is equal) the Yildiz block is weaker in that aspect as well. But again, in practice none of this likely matters. Just a simple cost cutting measure which is understandable in a gun that sells for 1/3 what the gun it's copied from does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts