Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Jon and I have my Dads High Standard Sport Deluxe 20 gauge shotgun. I have disassembled it and am having trouble. once back together I cannot open the action. I have to disassembled the shot gun to open the action. please help! this is nothing on the internet about this. I have seen a few blogs where people warn of taking the gun apart. of course I did not see that until the gun was already disassembled. any advise would be great. thank you.

· Registered
5,351 Posts
He got it apart, he should be able to get it back together. Sometimes these things take time and several attempts.

My advice? Take it back apart. Look at how the parts fit together. Look at schematics online (Numrich). Google for online manuals. Think about it. Think about it some more. This ain't rocket surgery. He can do this. And when he does, he'll know his shotgun.

· Registered
14,759 Posts
No everyone has equal inherent mechanical aptitude or abilities. It isn't a slam, it just is. I don't have an artistic bone in my entire body, ergo i don't try to paint portraits for a living.
It may be the writer just lacks experience, but a shotgun is a pretty simple device, so I would say he needs to go see a gunsmith as well. Guns are not plug and play. That's also why they get so much money for a simple oil change these days. Do it yourself don't mean what it used to.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I contacted high standard and they could not help me. They said the gun has not been made in 30years and nobody there knew anything about the shotgun. They told me to go to a gun smith. Screw that! I want to put it back together myself. I'll figure it out. But if anyone here has had experience with this 20 gauge sport deluxe from High standard I would love to hear from you.

· Registered
5,351 Posts
jonnyd223 said:
I contacted high standard and they could not help me. They said the gun has not been made in 30years and nobody there knew anything about the shotgun. They told me to go to a gun smith. Screw that! I want to put it back together myself. I'll figure it out. But if anyone here has had experience with this 20 gauge sport deluxe from High standard I would love to hear from you.
Jonny,

I am currently struggling with a 28 gauge High Standard Flite King. I have the opposite problem. I can't get the slide to lock up unless I manually operate the lock lever. I've had this gun apart and back together dozens of times. I'm still trying to sort out the action lock spring, but I'm determined to get it done.

Anyway, if you tell me what specifically yours is doing I might be able to offer some thoughts. My first thought is perhaps you mixed up the slide bars right/left and have them installed on the wrong sides.

In the meantime, the next time you have your trigger group out, would you be willing to shoot some photos showing the installation of the action lock spring? Specifically, I'm interested in part number 6 in this schematic:

· Registered
5,351 Posts
seb7515 said:
Do you know for a fact that the High Standard chapter in this book relates to the SUB-GAUGE guns (.410/28 ga/20 ga) as opposed to the 12 gauge version? They are completely different guns so it's kind of important.

ETA: Never mind. I bought it. I figured there were enough other shotguns listed that it would be worth having either way. Turns out that the Flite King chapter is for the 12 gauge only. No help whatsoever on the subgauge guns.

· Registered
1 Posts
Jonny, I am currently struggling with a 28 gauge High Standard Flite King. I have the opposite problem. I can't get the slide to lock up unless I manually operate the lock lever. I've had this gun apart and back together dozens of times. I'm still trying to sort out the action lock spring, but I'm determined to get it done. Anyway, if you tell me what specifically yours is doing I might be able to offer some thoughts. My first thought is perhaps you mixed up the slide bars right/left and have them installed on the wrong sides. In the meantime, the next time you have your trigger group out, would you be willing to shoot some photos showing the installation of the action lock spring? Specifically, I'm interested in part number 6 in this schematic:
Same problem. Did you figure it out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts