Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering doe hogdon have any tables to show the equivalency of dram to fps? i was looking at there brochure but it really didnt give much information. Is 1200fps close to a 3 dram load or do i need to go to 1250 fps or is that number closer to 3 dram.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
The "dram equivalent" term is still used on factory loads, but has very little relevance to handloads.

"Dram" is a unit of measure that was used with blackpowder....for example, a 3-dram load of blackpowder gave a muzzle velocity of about 1200 fps with 1-1/8 oz of shot. A 2-3/4 dram load had a lower velocity with the same 1-1/8 oz of shot. With only 1 oz of shot, a 3-dram load was about 1300 fps.

All of that is pretty much irrelevant today - you choose your shot charge and the velocity you'd like, and load accordingly from the powder company's data. For example, for 16 yard trap, I load AA hulls with a Win 209 primer, Claybuster 1 oz wad (AA12SL clone), 1 oz of #8 hard shot, and 17.3 grains of clays - gives about 1180 fps.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Stick with Hodgdon powders. They make the best, IMO. This isn't based on guesswork, this is based on thousands and thousands of rounds through the tube, and the reloader...

Clays is the finest 12ga powder available, IMO. The mentioned load would be excellent as an all-around clays shell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.