Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hade a gun locker? I am looking for something to store 8 - 12 guns plus an ammo box. The low end gun lockers I have seen are cheaply made and I can't afford a really good one. I am thinking about converting a user school locker into one but wonder if it will be large enough.
All my guns will have trigger locks on them and the ammo must be locked seperately (I use a locking ammo box for that) as per government regs so I don't need the locker to be impenetrable.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
797 Posts
The school locker doesn't sound like a bad idea.I need another locker for myself and thought of building one but steel is SO expensive now it's just not worth my time and effort.A school locker should be able to handle 8 guns easily and maybe the dozen that you need room for.I'm going to check the availability of them here.
Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Years ago, prior to kids, I purchased an unassembled "wardrobe" from K-Mart that had a keyed lock. There is a bottom shelf & top shelf with enough space between to house your guns. I cut barrel slots in the top shelf and contract cemented vinyl to protect the barrels. I believe it held 10 or 12 guns, and the wardrobe was split in the middle with 2 seperate adjustable bottom shelves. Rifles on one side, since they are shorter and shotguns on the other. Space on the bottom & top for storage and a keyed lock. Wouldn't take but a second to get into, but kept them out of site & safe. Cost me under $50.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Keep an eye open for a used gun safe. Lots of guys buy them too small and end up stepping up in size. I did that years ago and ended up selling a decent 12 gun Treadlock for about $200. Try eBay or post a couple of want ads for your area. The key type Treadlock is a very good safe. Comes with a Medeco lock situated where no one is going to be able to easily defeat it. Hmmmm, that reminds me, I need a bigger safe now! Supposed to hold 36 and it's busting at the seams!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cubby said:
All my guns will have trigger locks on them and the ammo must be locked seperately (I use a locking ammo box for that) as per government regs so I don't need the locker to be impenetrable.
Pardon my intrusion, but just what government regulations dictate how you store a firearm in your own home?

Thanks

Evan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Canadian regulations:

An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,

(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or

(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-11.6/SOR ... index.html

The definition of "readily broken in to" is up for interpretation. I mean hell if a criminal has to first break into my house, disarm the alarm, and somehow "disarm" my dog, isn't that enough of a challenge?

·
Registered
797 Posts
The brother of a friend of mine(name witheld for obvious reasons) faced a legal battle regarding safe storage several years ago in the town of Qualicum Beach,BC.Due to a misunderstanding,the RCMP,hereafter called the Gestapo,entered his home while is wife was there with the intention of confiscating a non existant firearm.He was not at home at the time,however he returned home during this time to see police cars at his home.He watched from a distance while police officers spent TWO hour with prybars and tools breaking(illegally) into his secure gun room.The non existant gun was obviously not found but his other firearms were confiscated and he would later be charged with unsafe gun storage.This after it took the RCMP(Gestapo) two hours to break into his gunroom.This became a high profile legal case in Western Canada,trust funds were set up to aid in his battle,and high profile defense lawyers retained.Long story short,charges were eventually dropped and the guns were returned because he had done nothing wrong!It cost a lot of money and anguish to the family.
Now before I'm questioned on the accuracy of this incident,let me say that I was familiar with the story for a while as were a lot of other locals.It wasn't until I was having dinner with an aquaintance one night when I found out that the man in question was her brother and she told me the story as it actually went down.
I suppose that if one considers a room that takes two hours to break into a contravention of safe storage laws then he was guilty.I DON"T THINK SO.
My own guns are in a safe,in a locked and alarmed room that has 1/2" steel bars on the window.I hope this satifies the Canadian requirements.
Dave

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did not notice that you were from Canada but that certianly explains just what regulations would apply.

I am sorry that they have chosen to regulate what constitutes responsible gun ownership in your parts. To me, such regulations seem much like punishing the innocent for the crimes of the guilty.

Good luck and good wishes.

Evan

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Pardon my intrusion, but just what government regulations dictate how you store a firearm in your own home?

Thanks

Evan[/quote]

The republick of Kali-forin-a is got a few of those now as I recall! :roll:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked into used school lockers but they are too small. I can pick up a Sentry or Stack-on 8 gun cabinet for approx $150 CDN which isn't bad. We don't get a lot of used gun safes around here.

We just moved into a new house we built so I don't have a locked room to store the guns - yet. I might end up building a large closet that I can lock to store them.

Yep the CDN government has wasted millions of dollars regulating law-abiding citizens and absolutely nothing on controlling crinimals!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I second rod330's idea. I've been working on such a project myself. Construction "Gang Boxes" are easily purchased used, are heavy gage metal, and usually have hidden hinges, so they are ideal.

My plan is to line it with plywood, then glue on some form of insulation and build a rack to lay the guns in. Sounds like a nice winter project to me. :)

OH!!! I will bolt it to the floor or wall of my garage first using good 1/2" concrete Anchors. (waterproofing around the bolt holes of course) 8)

Happy shooting....................Levi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.