Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall an article describing how to make a wind powered, spinning wing duck from a piece of plywood and soda bottle and $5 in parts. I had the magazine saved, but it was either lost in a move or ...well, it is gone.

My first thought is that it was a "Sportsman's Notebook" article from Field and Stream. However, we were also receiving Outdoor Life, American Hunter, North American Hunter, Petersen's Hunting, and possibly other hunting magazines at the time. The time, being about 3 to 5 years ago. I imagine it would have been a Fall or Winter issue, to have decoy building in it. And I am pretty sure the article was mentioned on the cover - "Make your own spinning wing!!" or some such.

Does anyone recall what magazine/issue this was in? I am really looking for a copy of it again. Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I have some indicators it might be in a 2005 Field and Stream, but I am still not certain.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Jeremiah

Let us know how the build turns out

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on building that, exactly, but it does seem simple. A review on another forum said it needed a 30 mph wind to spin it. How much of an exaggeration that is, or how poor a craftsman the builder was, I have no idea. What I needed to figure was how they were attaching the wings, particularly, set screw retainer or what? That DuBro..whatchamalit was the part I was trying to figure out. It is a bit different than I thought, as the wings are spinning freely on the axle. I figured the wings would be fixed and the axle spinning freely in a bearing of some sort.

I have been searching the net on and off for that article; I never thought about posting here or searching waterfowl forums until yesterday. I can't believe that article was only two years ago. I was thinking four. I guess it didn't get lost in a move after all, since I have not moved in the last two years....

Jeremiah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.