Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I am looking for are some reviews / input from folks who used Atlas traps at length. We are a small club looking to include a five stand on our skeet field. We are looking to purchase two AT50 Sporter traps and a rabbit trap . We don't want to break the bank with these machines until we know if it will generate more income to upgrade later. We like the idea of made in the USA, 5 yr warranty and life on electronics and throwing system. Will these traps hold up to one to two days a week use with maybe 5 - 10 rounds each day being shot through them. Also what is the general take on the Champion SST rabbit? You all are the best form of reviews that I know of so please let me know what you think of these machines. We would hope to get 4 -5 years before upgrading if we can show an increase in shooting activity due to the five stand. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
We are using 4 Atlas 250 traps along with a wobble PAT trap for our 5 Stand. We shoot Wednesdays and Sundays, and have used them for a couple years, thousands of targets. Have only had a couple springs break. They have been great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We carry both the Atlas AT50 and the Champion SST rabbit and have had very good service from both units. Atlas has redesigned the mainspring so it will not break as often (oregunner, the new spring can be put on older machines as well). The AT50 is a proven design and I would not hesitate to recommend it over any other machine for a small club. The Champion SST rabbit is the only machine available for the entry level market, but it is a reliable unit none the less. It is advertised as throwing a rabbit, teal and chandelle presentation, however it throws a better rabbit presentation, while only throwing a teal about 25-30' in the air.

Please feel free to call with any questions on either of these two traps.

Corey Howell
http://www.howellshootingsupplies.com

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've used the AT 50, have had an Atlas 250 for a few years and have a friend with one of the commercial units. If you use the 50, you are going to be doing a lot of filling between squads as you grow!

Generally, they are very good machines for the money. The few times they have given problems, I have had very good service from the factory, but the spare parts seem a little high in price.

One other considerations is relative to the clay feed system...Atlas does not use a knife separator for the 50 & 250, so if you shoot in the rain or have icing conditions, the clays may not drop down onto the throwing surface. We've experienced that on rare occasions.

Our club stepped it up a bit and started buying Promatics. They are a true commercial machine with more variety in models (chondels, battues, mini's, etc.)

All in all, I'd give the Atlas a thumbs-up.

Hope this helps.

I.S.

P.S. I'm happy to hear they are using a better spring. Just recetly had one break (at the end), but was able to make another loop by annealing the next loop so I didn't have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
beaglesworth said:
What I am looking for are some reviews / input from folks who used Atlas traps at length. We are a small club looking to include a five stand on our skeet field. We are looking to purchase two AT50 Sporter traps and a rabbit trap . We don't want to break the bank with these machines until we know if it will generate more income to upgrade later. We like the idea of made in the USA, 5 yr warranty and life on electronics and throwing system. Will these traps hold up to one to two days a week use with maybe 5 - 10 rounds each day being shot through them. Also what is the general take on the Champion SST rabbit? You all are the best form of reviews that I know of so please let me know what you think of these machines. We would hope to get 4 -5 years before upgrading if we can show an increase in shooting activity due to the five stand. Thanks so much.
I will tell you this; you will not beat "Scott" at Atlas for service and over-the-phone help. We have a small club and have purchased 9 AT250's in the past 18 months. One spring is all that we have had fail and that was our fault I think.
If possible, buy one at a time or figure out some way for your club to make the money. We bought ours in three shots by paying for them as we ordered them. We didn't borrow any money, just had fun at the club and worked for them.
I think you will find that the AT50's are good machines but you will run out of birds pretty quick.
Send me a pm and I'll send a few pictures of how we set ours up.
PKW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.