Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this has been asked before however, whenever pictures were requested the threads I was able to find went dead.

modes anyone have any idea who may have made these hulls?

information provided by hornady customer service.

Mr. Xxxx
Thanks for the inquiry. Cheddite makes our hulls for us. We appreciate your business.
Thank you
Hornady Manufacturing | 3625 West Old Potash Hwy Grand Island, NE 68803| 1-800-338-3220
Blue Light Fluid Finger Liquid

Hand Finger Wood Thumb Household hardware

Azure Finger Wheel Lens Electric blue

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'll gues it is a RIO (blue color), but just a guess and DYODD. Cut one open and measure against a RIO. It is a Euro style hull and for the most part you can use loads for any Euro hull as long as the stack height works out for what you are loading. If it is a RIO the primer pocket will be oversized for most primer brands other than RIO.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Was sorting through the range pickups and found what might have been one box of Federal hulls that looked just like that, except for color. Same "brass" height and color. Base also the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem is I don’t have many hulls to compare to, I have a tech email out to hornady waiting for a response. We will see if they are forthcoming with the information.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Problem is I don’t have many hulls to compare to, I have a tech email out to hornady waiting for a response. We will see if they are forthcoming with the information.
So what do you want to load in these hulls?Most all data for straight walled (12 gauge) hulls is interchangeable. One reason Cheddite Data is often recommended. Is they tend to have the least internal volume.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More buckshot loads....
however, if they are indeed RIA there is not much primer availability that I know of for them. Spoke to both of my local ranges and they are going to hold the shot gun area can bags for me so I can dig through them and see if there is anything I want in them.

·
Registered
26,617 Posts
More buckshot loads....
however, if they are indeed RIA there is not much primer availability that I know of for them. Spoke to both of my local ranges and they are going to hold the shot gun area can bags for me so I can dig through them and see if there is anything I want in them.
Euro primers are readily available and will work fine

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The last RIO hull I got from the range bucket. Cheddite primers fit perfectly. No real need for RIO pacific primers. Cheddite, Fiocchi and Noble primers are available. Especially Cheddite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well then, I was under the impression Cheddite would not fit these.I guess there is always that little thing called a caliper I could use though. This is good news. Now to look into suitable powder availability around me have Ramshot competition hs6 and true blue. Was surprised the later two were listed in shot gun loads. I’ve used them both in 9mm for a while.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I loaded Hornady hulls the same as any other Euro hull with no problems. Then, I don't load them to top pressures so I do have plenty of room for safety.

I haven't seen any load data for True Blue in shotguns but the other two are pretty common.

Competition is a very fine grain ball powder that can result in a fair bit of leakage around the bar on a MEC. It is designed for 12 ga competition loads up to 11/8 oz. I didn't bother playing with it for shotgun and used up the two 12 oz bottles I had in handguns.

HS-6 has been around for ages and was also known as Winchester 540 for many years. It is a decent powder for mid-level 12 ga hunting loads, 1-1 1/8 oz 16 ga, 7/8- 1 oz 20 ga, and 3/4 oz 28 ga. I use it for the 28 ga and some 12 ga, 1 1/4 oz buffered loads. It produces some decent velocities in many handgun rounds but I have other powders I prefer for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hadn’t seen data for true blue until I checked the Hodgdon site, it actually comes up under Remington STS hulls. There is none in the last western powders guide though.
I noted in the BPI manuala load for 800x in rio hulls which I can pick up locally. Shotgun being used with these loads is a 20” 590. Not sure it will take advantage of the slower 800x very well?
I moved away from hs6 in 9 in favor of true blue. I also have on hand tite group but don’t see any data for it.
powders can be a bear to come by right now....

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Its cheddite/rio/fio they are basically all the same. Who actually made it doesnt matter as much as you would think. Cheddite usually has the most data, so pick a cheddite load under 11k psi and have at it.

If you can seat a cheddite primer with your fingers, its a fiocchi hull.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts