Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:
I'm new to this forum,and just getting back to shooting trap and sporting clays.I purchased a new 12 gauge Winchester Supreme Sporting Clays Select 2 weeks ago,and I am considering reloading for both sports.I have done a lot of searches here and on other forums,looking for some solid information on the new Hornaday line as far as the new Apex reloader.Is this press any better than the 366,and does it compare with say the Mec 9000? I can see by a lot of the post here that the Mec seems to be the preference with most of you all.I had a size master several years ago and never had any problems with it for the short time I reloaded with it.It was a very solid built reloader but I had a lot of playing around to get the automatic primer feeder to work properly.Have they improved this feature with the Mecs?As it stands now it looks like I'll be shooting around 150-200 rounds a week to start and hopefully within 12 months doubling that amount.Which press would would you all suggest would accomodate my needs now and 12 months from now.Price is a concern,(my lovely wife does support my shooting habits,but I don't want to send her into sticker shock) so I need to keep it resonable if possible.

Of all the Shotgun Forums I have visited the past few weeks this looks to be the best one I've found.

Thank You all for your commints and suggestions

Mac

G

·
I can't answer that but along the same topic, how good are the Ponsness Warren 800 B units compared to Hornady's press ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a MEC and a Hornady 366 and the Hornady sits unused in the back corner of my shed. I have had much better luck with the MEC(more consistent drop weights and powder charges) producing well formed shells and don't have near the problems with damaged shells or spilled powder. I have not used one of the APEX units but have spent several :lol: long hours on a MEC 9000. It seems to me that they have improved the automatic primer feed system because I didn't experience any problems with it. I would recommend the MEC over the Hornady.---AFG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mac11700,

Can't help ypu w/ the Hornady but will offer that I have used a MEC-9000 for five seasons now w/o a hitch. it takes me only 12 minutes to put out 100 shells if everything is all set before I start.

The one thing that impressed me w/ the MEC was the fact that when I called the factory w/ a question on the initial set up the service tech. asked me several questions about what I was reloading for and then took about 30 minutes to talk me through every adjustment and we got it tuned up perfectly. He was more than happy to help. For that reason alone I have since purchased a Sizemaster in 20ga and a 650jr in 16ga and have not been disapointed with any of them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys:

I ordered a 12gauge Mec Size Master yesterday to start out with.I need to try out several different load combinations to see which my o/u will shoot the best.I figured it would be easier to match the load to the gun than than vise-versa.I got to try out my new Winchester last weekend at my first registered ATA shoot.I definatly need more practice with the right load.I only got to shoot in one match and that was a 20 yard handicap.I shot in the low 80's for 100 rounds.The only way I have to go is up!!!! I know there's been a lot of discussions on the merits of the 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads,and I think that I'll try some of them out that the technician at Mec gave me.I have some of the Federal Gold Medal paper and some Remington Nitro's and STS hulls as well.I also got a lb, of Clays powder to use with the Remington STS 209 primers.I hope I can come up with a load that doesn't pound me to death and that will pattern good too.Any help are timely tips for this newbe will be greatly apriciated,both for busting birds and the different loads you all seem to have developed.

Mac :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.