Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, looks like alot of good info. available; wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on the best sabot slug. I hunt in Indiana with 12 gauge. Wandering if anyone has shot the afore mentioned slugs head-to-head? Ballistic reports have them essentially equivalent, accurate to 150 yds. potentially 200 yds. Recoil, accuracy, expansion all comments welcomed. Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
14 Posts
I target shot with both of these slugs prior to this MN slug gun season. Last year I used the core-lokts and obviously I wanted to see how the SST's compared. I shoot a Mossberg 695 with a Nikon 2-7X32 scope. I use a bipod to steady my shots when I target shoot. I wan't pleased with the consistency of the Hornady SST's. Sometimes they were high-right then high-level and so on. The core-lokts atleast shoot consistent. I will continue to use the core-lokts for long range and buckhammers at close range.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use the Rem. Core-lokt sabot exclusively. I shoot a Browning A-bolt and can consistently shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100, have taken an elk at 168 yards and numerous deer all inside 100 yards. The elk dropped dead in his tracks and the bullet passed completely through which is saying something on an animal that big.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used the Winchester Platinum Tip 400gr sabots this year. Very consistent out of the Remington 870SPS, but kicks like a howitzer. Bought a Browning Deer Hunter and it's much more pleasant to shoot. Grouped well in the Browning as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tried three types of slugs for my rifled barrel. Out of the three (Hornady, Remington Core-Lokt, and Barnes Expanders by Federal), the Hornady performed the worst. Maybe it was the slug and my gun, maybe not, but they were worth it. The Remington did well, at least they grouped well. The Federal's did better than then the other two...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts