Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you get a puppy do you establish "house rules" in terms of boundaries for the dog? My wife and I sat down before getting our Brittany and came up with a list of requirements that we thought would make sense. For instance, this time around we determined that the dog would NOT be allowed on our furniture. P.S. See some new pics below
Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yeah, some house rules are good. Stay off the furniture is OK, good time to teach "OFF." ("Off" is different from "down", which means lie_down_, everyone must be consistent with the difference) The pup should be fed after you eat, 2 points there, whets their appetite and establishes "Alpha dog." Time to teach "Whoa" when leaving the house, you leave through the door first, pup follows, again alpha-dog thing, but also prevents bolting out the door into trouble. That can be tricky with a self-closing screen door; lead dog to door, "whoa," open door, "stay" step thru door, hold screen, then "come". This is all simple obediance stuff but when it comes to bird training the obediance will help, especially "whoa."

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
The sooner you learn who is in charge(of your heart)the better off you are. NO-she will not get on the furniture, No-she will not nap on the couch with me-No-she will not nap on the bed with me. The only law that has stuck is she does sleep in her crate at night in our bedroom and she seems to like it that way as her pillow is fluffier than mine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts