Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,545 Posts
Live weight (before being gutted, obviously), about 175 pounds.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I was going to say about 165 but I bet you it's somewhere between Uly and I.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Jay:

He might push 150lbs, he doesn't have the width for 165-175, but I could be wrong...

Still a very nice deer, get us a better antler shot and we can try a B&C inches guess as well...

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Hey Jay, once again letting the guest have the good spots? Nice deer for the backyard. Did you get a straight on shot of the rack?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Pumper, be nice!! Southern deer are smaller so as to be able to dissapate heat better. Our northern deer are typically larger so as to be able to retain heat in the winter. There is even a marked difference between the southern and northern parts of our state. For really large deer, try the tree line in Alberta or Saskatchewan. 300# are not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
To quote uglydog:
"Southern deer are smaller so as to be able to dissapate heat better. Our northern deer are typically larger so as to be able to retain heat in the winter."

That is not entirely true. It makes fine sense however. In all my life of living in Virginia (given VA is not in the North by any means but the weather is MUCH colder), I have known of about 6 deer that have weighted over 200 pounds on the hoof. Three of those came from the Radford Arsenal. The other three were all from the western part of the state as well. I have been in South Carolina for three years now, and have seen more 200+ deer than I can remember. When I say seen, I mean I have seen them acctually weighed on certified scales. I saw one last week that even now in the post rut went 237 pounds. I believe in all honesty, that it is because baiting is allowed in SC. All year long, the deer are fed corn, oats and other "fat snacks". The racks in SC are not nearly what they are in VA however. With antler growth being based on nutrition (at least in part, genetics has a big part too, but without food the growth just won't happen) I am suprised that SC deer do not have larger racks than they do. Plenty of people down here run dogs too, which is just like VA, which displaces deer at least for a while. Beats me why its that way? Might only be 400 miles apart, but I was in a T shirt this afternoon when I called my dad near Richmond. He said it was 23 there. Not far, but plenty cold.

Andy

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
As an animals body increase in size by a given percentage its surface area increases by roughly 1/2 that percentage, meaning larger animals have less surface area per unit of weight. Ecology 101. 23 degrees plenty cold? Poor you, the high here today was in the low 20's and it is not even cold yet. 200 does sound big for a southern deer, though. Does anyone have a Boone and Crockett book, who could look up where the qualifying white-tails were taken? I wonder how frequently a southern deer makes 160 pts. Don't be jealous though, because you have all the fat largemouth down there. The biggest one I have ever caught was about 5 lbs up here.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
We do have some hawgs for sure. My best is 12lbs 4ozs. It came from VA when I was 16.

You are dead wrong about 23 not being cold. See we southerners have "thin blood", so a slight breeze on a 40 degree day will send us into chilly convulsions. Or, maybe I am just a wuss :?:

Andy

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi there pumper. Joel Helmer with B&C has done extensive reserch into whitetail distribution across the U.S. Covering a span of time from 1830 up to 2001. Some highlights of his findings....

5568 entries into B&C for whitetail in that time span.

3950 of those came in the 1980 to 2001 seasons. (74% of all entries)

From 1830 to 1979 the top states for trophy whitetails were Minnesota (315), Wisconsin (194), and Texas (157) accounting for 45% of all entries during this period.

The top 10 states during the last 2 decades are:IL (509), IA (507), WI (395), MN (293), MO (244), KY (242), KS (235), OH (199), TX (159), and IN (138).

You can see that the Mississippi and Ohio Valley states are the best bet for a B&C today.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Way to go tex, that is just what I had in mind.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Large rack? Where? I only see about 10 points. I tease, but those in my family who hunt deer only take trophies, so I am spoiled.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You lucky Texans. *sigh*
Hey Live2, do you need a son? Or if you don't want a son how about a little brother (though not that little :wink:) . Okay, how 'bout I be your servant for a few months and then you take me deer huntin'? :D

I live in the wrong state! :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.