Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i make my own shot? I read something on a littleton shot maker but i can't seem to find any theory of operation or dimensions on the thing anywhere on the net. I usually shoot about 100 rounds a weekend at this time of year and I've been reloading with a recipe that packs a hell of a punch for the last 3 years. Lead is pretty expensive and if I can make my own, I think I'd even start doing more clayshooting. any help would be appreciated, also tried making a shot tower, after a few hours of design I tried it and my lead balls looked more like dead flys. :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've placed a post on this site about the littleton shot maker.
A shot tower needs to be 200 feet tall to allow the lead to form a ball and cool enough not to deform when hitting water or oil. Your problem is the lead is still way too hot and flattens out when striking the surface of the coolent. I hope your not using water. You will get badly burned by exploding lead and steam if your too close. Oil or liquid soap is the only way to do it safely. Littletons shotmaker drops the molten lead no more the 1/4 inch into the oil. Works well and has no moving parts.
Rob.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've placed a post on this site about the littleton shot maker.
A shot tower needs to be 200 feet tall to allow the lead to form a ball and cool enough not to deform when hitting water or oil. Your problem is the lead is still way too hot and flattens out when striking the surface of the coolent. I hope your not using water. You will get badly burned by exploding lead and steam if your too close. Oil or liquid soap is the only way to do it safely. Littletons shotmaker drops the molten lead no more the 1/4 inch into the oil. Works well and has no moving parts.
Rob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rapid Rob,

I have some questions about the shotmaker you have. What about it makes it cost almost $400? You describe it as a common stove element set at a 30° angle. Littleton sells the drippers for $42 on the website. Are these the complete pan shown in the picture or are the drippers some type of removable orifice like in a gas furnace (for changing between natural and LP). How does the dripper attach to the heating element? By my calculations you would have to make almost 800 lbs of shot out of free lead before you would pay for the unit assuming $13 a bag. That is a lot of 1 oz shells. If however the the drippers and the pan are an integral unit I bet you could buy the drippers for Littleton and fab up a unit out of sheet metal. Maybe I underestimate what a stove element costs but I bought a 110v hot plate to use to boil water for hot water blueing small parts and it cost less that $10 at Walmart. What do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jfinch,
I like the way you think. I had the same thing in mind, but did not post it. Let's see If we can get an answer to this question. Even if it cost $100. to make, which I don't see, you would still save aprox. $300. If you have found out the answer already please post it.
Later, George

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gentlmen, I have a source for bismuth for less than what has been qouted previously by others on this site, any one considering making bismuth shot at home can contact me and I will pass that info directly to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yes I almost forgot. Rapid Rob, thank you for your kind words and your ideas. And for any one asking about the price of our equipment and the breakdown of the components that make up the Shotmaker contact us directly.
The elements in our Littleton Shotmaker is 1250 watts, almost all hotplates are only 700-900 watts hot enough for water and ramen but not hot enough to produce lead shot over any amount of time if at all.Yes,I will sell compenents of our shotmaker to you, we have done that now for several enterprising customers that did fab up their own design, but still use our drippers and in some case our elements and even our cast Aluminum ladle. I do not recomend propane or any other open flame as a heating soucre to make lead shot from. If you have specific questions regarding the shotmaker, the how and the whys I would be glad to help. I build them all the time now. Remeber R and D is the main cost of any product on the market, not always they actual cost of each and every peice that make the entirety of the unit. Why do cars cost so much if they are being put together by robots, with recyled metals, besides, they don't get salaries? A profit must also be made in order to stay in business and be here for your shot making needs in the future.
We are always looking to the future and you will see the we will be coming out with other products to make it even easier to make and to sort the shot you make at home, either laed or bismuth.
Thanks a ton,
Alan Burgess

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wonder if you have to carry any liability insurance? The cost of that alone should frighten anyone.

If the lead was TOTALLY FREE to you and you paid nothing for electricity you'd make 533lbs or so? Before the loader paid for itself.

That'd actually be good - sell eleven customers two bags of shot and you're into the money, or probably close. It'd be a good machine for a range to use, as they could probably use some of their own reclaimed lead. If a club were cooperatively owned by the shooters it'd also be a good deal. Any member could come in, sit down, gear up and use the smelter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentlemen
I just wanted to throw my $.02 in.
The LITTLETON SHOTMAKER is a neet machine.
after a little practice you will be making lots of good shot for very little money. I use old tire weights, I ususlly can get them for free at many local tire stores. They are melted down and again formed in muffin tins, to be used in the shot machine later.
Mr. Burgess is most helpfull. I have called him in the past to get restarted in shot making after a long layoff, and he was a lot of help. He even called me yesterday to make sure all was going well with the machine.
I gotta tell you, you don't get service like that from anybody else, I don't care what the product!!!
Call him, or visit on the web, I'm sure you will get the same results. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts