Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a 1300+ FPS load for 20 ga. skeet loads that does not use Longshot. The powder I found is Winchester's new 572 and looks to be just what I want in speed and pressure. However I have quite a lot of 571 powder but no data to confirm that it would be safe to use instead of the new 572 powder. I am looking at data that uses Rem Gun Club hulls, Cb wads, w209 primers from Hodgdons website. Anyone load 571/HS7 in the past at 1300+ fps with 7/8 oz. shot?

·
Registered
76 Posts
mtgrs737 said:
I have been looking for a 1300+ FPS load for 20 ga. skeet loads that does not use Longshot. The powder I found is Winchester's new 572 and looks to be just what I want in speed and pressure. However I have quite a lot of 571 powder but no data to confirm that it would be safe to use instead of the new 572 powder. I am looking at data that uses Rem Gun Club hulls, Cb wads, w209 primers from Hodgdons website. Anyone load 571/HS7 in the past at 1300+ fps with 7/8 oz. shot?
I have loaded Winchester 571 and Hodgdon HS7 in the past in 20ga. 2 3/4" 1oz. Loads to duplicate Winchester Super X loads, basically magnum field loads. Winchester 571/Hodgdon HS7 were always marketed as heavy payload higher velocity powder. I don't think you will find any direct correlation to the new Winchester 572. My printed older Winchester manual is a thousand miles away right now and will be for a considerable time. Hopefully someone else who used those discontinued powders has readily available data to share.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn, I was hoping that someone here had loaded some fast 7/8 oz. loads in the 20 ga. I think I will drop Hodgdon a line and ask them about it.

Thanks to all that replied I appreciate you guys!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
One could use a 1oz recipe and drop the payload to 7/8 with respective wad. But even with HS7/571 1300 fps in 1 oz recipes might be tough to find. Velocity is going to go up a bit with the reduced payload though.

And ya 572-571=1 is the only correlation your gonna find.

I'd also echo the "why". I doubt the targets could tell the difference vs a more standard 1200.

Could try trading for some 572. 571/HS7 has been gone quite awhile and has it's following.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Google is your friend............................

This new Winchester powder is strategically designed to do a myriad of jobs. First it has the correct burn rate to create the famous 3 ¼ dram equivalent, 1 ¼ oz, 1330 fps 12 gauge load, originated by Winchester. And, it does it with any brand case! Back Fence competitors and pheasant hunters will be delighted. Now, that is just one application, and it goes on to provide clay target loads superb in 20 gauge and 28 gauge, top field loads in both, and, outstanding field loads for the wonderful 16 gauge. In addition, 572 has a vast number of pistol applications, ranging from the 25 ACP to the 45 ACP, and all popular calibers in between. This is one positively versatile and useful propellant.

Allows duplication of the famous Winchester 28-gauge AA® target load
Perfect for the original Winchester 3¼ dram equivalent, 1330 fps, 1¼ oz, 12-gauge upland game load
Provides top-quality 1200 fps target loads in both 28- and 20-gauge, with all popular reloading components
Showing off its versatility, can be used in shotshell field loads from 12-gauge to 28-gauge and handgun applications such as 380 Auto, 9MM Luger, 38 Special and 45 ACP.
Complete load data for this versatile and useful propellant is accessible on the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center at http://www.HodgdonReloading.com.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
mtgrs737 said:
actually I was looking for 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads in gun club 20 ga. hulls to go 1300 fps. using hs-7 or w571 powder and w209 primers.
If that was my goal, I'd just use 1oz data, reduce the payload and sub wad for appropriate stack height. May not make 1300, but 1250+ and pretty hard to not be safe.

I have older hodgdon data for 1oz at 1220 fps in Rem hulls and is a variety of primers/wads. For the Win primer it lists 23gr of HS7. FWIW it list AA compression formed hull with 25.5gr of HS7 for 1 oz at 1250.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.