Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come when your having fun trying to break in a new gun for the first time...folks want to tell you your shooting the wrong way...?

I got to put a couple rounds thru my Supreme today..and I had a few folks tell me I shouldn't be shooting "international style..that I should be shooting from a mounted position(highgun)..I tried explaining that I just wanted to shoot it as I normally would hunting...and I was just there doing a little break-in on the new to me gun...and these fine folks seemed to think I was crazy handi-capping myself on the skeet course by shooting low gun...all told me that as fast as I was getting on the birds I would shoot high 20's easily..95% of the ones I did break... were broken 1/2 the way to the center stake or better...I don't understand...is all accepted U.S.skeet shooting now done with the gun mounted and do I have to switch to Sporting Clays or 5 stand for the low position to be the norm instead of the exception??????...I know I'm new to skeet..but..I'm perfectly happy to hone my skills mounting and swinging the gun..instead of being all fixed and ridgid like in trap...to me it just doesn't feel like it should with the gun on my shoulder to start...Is it just me?

Mac

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
until they start paying for you gun/shells/targets---doesn't matter what they think.

i shoot skeet with several guys that shoot low gun, no sweat off my brow :roll:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
:idea:
Smile real big then say;
"BITE ME!"
But most of all; Keep Smiling

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Don't let these morons bother ya--It's your gun,shells and time.This happens at ALL clubs some knowitall has to but in.Stand your ground and enjoy yourself,try and squad with real shooters :wink:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't think the "norm" is low gun on anything except international skeet and fitasc if you are shooting competion for score. You can shoot practice anyway you want to.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Mac,
I sort of like RWH24's response. :lol: You might add that if you want their help, you'll ask for it. A couple of us at our club, me included, choose to shoot low-gun, for a little extra challenge, and to make it seem a little more like practice for hunting. There is something pretty darn satisfying about breaking targets that way, especially at station 8.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
pop-a-cap said:
I don't think the "norm" is low gun on anything except international skeet and fitasc if you are shooting competion for score. You can shoot practice anyway you want to.
You can also shoot registered targets in American Skeet competition any way you want to.

Originally, no one pre-mounted a gun at American Skeet and there's no rule I know of that says you have to now.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Case said:
pop-a-cap said:
You can also shoot registered targets in American Skeet competition any way you want to.

Originally, no one pre-mounted a gun at American Skeet and there's no rule I know of that says you have to now.
I agree Case, but it's not the "norm". NSSA a rules say any safe comfortable position, or words to that effect. If you could look at the top 1000 skeet shooters I doubt if any of them shoot gun down, it's just a matter of removing one more variable. In competitive skeet if you can't drop a single target due to a bad mount or your out.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Ignore them.

Heck, I've been known to shoot low gun with an M-31 Remington Pump gun with a poly choke--it drives some people mad!!!!

There are a couple of us who shoot low gun at skeet so we can use the same style at sporting clays. I am an OSP shooter and comfortable with move, mount and break.

We shoot as well or better than any of the fixed-gun shooters we shoot with. (we are all un-famous local shooters but we have fun and break our share of birds, win a few shotguns and still shoot low gun)

In all I am not sure that it matters unless you are set to go for the long shoot offs and your goal is to have a 99.999 average on registered targets. The important thing is to do what works for you and is comfortable.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Fish Springs said:
Ignore them.

Heck, I've been known to shoot low gun with an M-31 Remington Pump gun with a poly choke--it drives some people mad!!!!
I used to haul out my 20 gauge Model 12 with a Cutts Compensator, which made a VERY WEIRD report, just to thoroughly piss off the snobs.

The more they complained, the oftener I opted for the Model 12.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As long as you're not sweeping me with your muzzle, I don't care what you shoot, what your hold is, or even you take a few extra seconds on every station to load it. That's your business. Mine is having a enjoyable day at the range and your equipment/style isnt' going to keep me from having that enjoyable day.

And speaking of enjoyable days at the range... 45 minutes to go. Another 60 degree in Kansas coming up and I'm going out to take advantage of it.

·
Banned
473 Posts
I flinch big time. I shoot trap with a release trigger, otherwise I would not be able to shoot. If I shoot a pull trigger at skeet or sporting I will flinch with a mounted gun, but never with a low gun. So, I always shoot skeet with a low gun. Shooting a low gun at skeet is also much more in vogue today because of sporting clays, where almost everyone shoots low gun. These guys mostly shoot low gun at skeet too, as skeet is no more than cheap practice for them. Before sporting clays became populer, few shooters would shoot a low gun at skeet.

I would not allow anyone to bother me about my gun mount in a shooting sport that's all but dead in the country. So, I agree, tell them "bite me". However, shoot a low gun for trap and you will hear about it because it's disruptive to the other shooters, so much so that most ATA guys would politely decline to shoot with you. It's simply a different game than skeet and has a whole different set of unwritten rules.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
However, shoot a low gun for trap and you will hear about it because it's disruptive to the other shooters, so much so that most ATA guys would politely decline to shoot with you.
???????? Why..they shouldn't be going thru any type of physical routine while I'm shooting..nor or they supposed to have their gun pre-mounted and tracking my bird while I'm shooting...so..again..why is this disruptive to anyone?

Mac

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Scoupe, wish we had more like you on the line with us. Most of the shooters at our club are retired and take the sport as their new line of employment...much to seriously. Last time I looked, nobody was paying me to shoot, Im there just for the pure fun of it!

Bob

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
As said above, you can shoot any way you want. The way to convince them that you are okay shooting with the gun the way you hold it is to simply break more targets than they do.

Shooting with the gun premounted may not be an advantage, particularly at first, if you are used to shooting with the gun down. For me, it is much harder to pick up (see) some targets with the gun up. In additon, you have to train yourself to look for the target and not focus on the gun before the target comes.

For a trained shooter the premounted gun is certainly an advantage. But for many of us it takes time to get to be able to use it well.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Mac11700,

Shooting a low gun at Trap IS disruptive to the squad. It's not normal, it causes a distraction that is out of the ordinary. Do it if you wish, but you will be told about it, not many will shoot with you and more important..... you won't shoot very well.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What really irks me about the advice givers is they throw off your game. Just knowing someone is watching me and "grading" my technique really makes me self conceious, causing me to miss more! If I wanted advice, I'd pay for it!

Bob

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I shoot low gun for the same reason and I also shoot international for stations 1 - 7 and on 8 I shoot an opposite house followed by a report from the house facing me. I may get a lot of questions about what I am shooting and why I shoot it; but I should be able to shoot what I want, how I want and have fun w/ it as long as it's safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts