Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to the shotgun game, and only have about 300+ rounds under my belt, assorted shots and brands for patterning, a few boxes of slugs, some birdshot for practice. All "name brand" (Remington, Federal, Winchester).

I clean out the barrel thoroughly after each session.

Last week, I found a "deal" on Estate 00 buckshot from Cabela's (probably from here actually, $150/case). I didn't come across too many bad reviews, so I picked one up to try along with a few boxes of Federal Truball 2-3/4" 1 oz. slugs for sighting my gun in over the weekend.

Well, I only managed to rip off about 10 slugs, and maybe 30 rounds of the 00. I put the gun away until tonight for inspection and cleaning (and also to touch up a big scratch in the receiver from the extractor).

Wow. The barrel was FILTHY. I hit that sucker with some generous doses of Hoppe's lead and copper cleaning solution, and had to run a Tornado brush through it about 20 times before I could get a clean patch out the other end, and a smooth mirror finish in there. Some serious lead caking going on. Probably over the course of 1/2 hour.

I know slugs have something to do with this, but can I blame the Estate ammo, too? That was pretty bad for such a short shooting session.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I think you can blame the Estate ammo. I've never shot any of their buckshot but I've shot quite a bit of their 20 gauge game loads and it's the filthiest my shotgun has ever been. They shot great though. I have a flat of 20 gauge and several boxes of 12 gauge that I won't hesitate to use if I get time to go out back and shoot at some doves in the next month or so.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I only recently cleaned one of my 870's after a tactical SG class on 6/13. We ran~25 birdshot (I used Estate) ~50 00 Buck (I used Federal LE), and ~55 slugs ( ised Federal here, too).

It was FILTHY. Like had a lead sleeve in the barrel filthy. I ran a BoreSnake thru it like 30 times before it was clean, and it's still just mostly clean.

I am blaming the slugs for leading up my barrel so bad.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'll have to check this out. I ran 200 rounds of #7.5 and #8 Estate thru my shotgun on Monday and won't get to clean it out until Saturday. But I only shot a couple slugs and about 20 00 buck on top of those.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
My dad would say "If you've got time to __________ you've got time to clean your gun!" Usualy the blank was filled with whatever I was doing when he asked if I had cleaned my gun. Sometimes I think he missed his calling as a DI.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Dirty is when you've been using the shottie as a walking stick and the dirt plug in the end of the barrel is longer than two inches...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
liljake82 said:
My dad would say "If you've got time to __________ you've got time to clean your gun!" Usualy the blank was filled with whatever I was doing when he asked if I had cleaned my gun. Sometimes I think he missed his calling as a DI.
My Dad and yours went to the same school. :wink:

I cannot sleep in my house with a dirty gun. I clean them every time I shoot them.

Of course, that may be why I have some guns that I have had for 40+ years, and they still look like the day they left the factory. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the barrel was leaded, not powder fouled, it was the slugs. Estate buckshot still has a proper shotcup wad, unlike every single other type of buckshot in that price range (and many more expensive ones).

·
Registered
42 Posts
arrkhal said:
If the barrel was leaded, not powder fouled, it was the slugs. Estate buckshot still has a proper shotcup wad, unlike every single other type of buckshot in that price range (and many more expensive ones).
I notice when I shot slugs that my 870's barrel gets dirt real fast. And not easy to get out at all. No matter what kind of slugs I'm shooting. I never buy the cheap stuff. The question I have is how clean should your shotgun barrel be? I've seen guys putting a brush on the end of a drill and run it through the barrel to get that stuff out as opposed to running it threw 30 times by hand and still seeing junk in there. Sounds like either is going to ware out the barrel fast. Some guys told me that a sg barrels never are polished spotless clean when you look threw them. Anyone have some knowledge on this.

Thanks
G

·
Registered
318 Posts
Shotgun barrels can look pretty shiny, and not actually be totally clean. Trace buildups or streaks you can see, but real clean, is hard to actually see vs shiny, but not really clean.

I at least usually clean until I am not getting carbon trace out any more. Clean it, and patch a bit with slip 2000 ... usually still pulls out the carbon. Then I give up.

If I really decide to clean the barrel, I usually bring out the bronze wool, to wrap the plastic bore brush, and lubricate the bore (with Kroil) and bronze wool, while I spin (with the battery drill) the bronze wrapped brush advancing slowly through the barrel. If I want to smooth things up a bit, I use Flitz on the bronze wool, but still keep a wet (kroil) bore.

spray then patch it out, then recoat with your choice of oil, or a light coating of slip 2000 or v80 rust retarding oil as a final treatment.

Paul

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
BlenderWizard said:
on a SG, why would a scratch or two (or 10) in the barrel, hurt anything?
Theoreticaly scratches could create friction against the wad and cause it to twist or spin and throw your pattern off. (Think a car sliding on an icy road and hitting a dry patch) This is why shotguns with pitted barrels pattern poorly.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
liljake82 said:
As long as the tool you are useing is softer than steel you aren't going to damage the bore.
not quite true. Yarn will cut steel in two if it rubs on it long enough. I make/repair steel parts every day that have been damaged by yarn, filter tow and other fibers..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.