Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great posts guys!

I getting ready for a tactical SG class here in a few weeks. We'll be running (200) #7-1/2 bird, (50) 00 buck and (50) slugs in the course of the day! I can't wait to see the mess after that!!!! I ran (4) slugs (Estate) and (20) ish S&B buck thru my 500a not too long ago. That made quite a mess. Tooks a few rounds of the broneze brush and bore snake. Patches didn't add up to much. I finally ran a mop thru the barrel. Wasn't spotless but 95% clean.

Do you attach the rods to a drill for the procedure described? WallyWorld has a $7 sg cleaning kit...I guess those rods could be the dedicated drilling/cleaning pieces. Where does one find the other products mentioned in these posts.

And, my new 590a1 should be here next week! I'm sure to be extra OCD on getting it clean. Supid "semi-noob" question...should I break down and clean the new SG before use? I was told to do it will my 1911A1...I went to the range and fired a few hundred rounds.....

Thanks operators!

Batt

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
This kinda off topic, but why do all the imported guns have chrome lined bores that stay about 90% cleaner? I own Mossbergs and Stevens and imported guns, and the chrome bores just stay clean! Why can't we do this in our country?

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Batt501 said:
Great posts guys!

I getting ready for a tactical SG class here in a few weeks. We'll be running (200) #7-1/2 bird, (50) 00 buck and (50) slugs in the course of the day! I can't wait to see the mess after that!!!! I ran (4) slugs (Estate) and (20) ish S&B buck thru my 500a not too long ago. That made quite a mess. Tooks a few rounds of the broneze brush and bore snake. Patches didn't add up to much. I finally ran a mop thru the barrel. Wasn't spotless but 95% clean.

Do you attach the rods to a drill for the procedure described? WallyWorld has a $7 sg cleaning kit...I guess those rods could be the dedicated drilling/cleaning pieces. Where does one find the other products mentioned in these posts.

And, my new 590a1 should be here next week! I'm sure to be extra OCD on getting it clean. Supid "semi-noob" question...should I break down and clean the new SG before use? I was told to do it will my 1911A1...I went to the range and fired a few hundred rounds.....

Thanks operators!

Batt
Yes clean it before you use it. Clean all of it not just the bore and re-lube what needs lubed. I'm talking every nook and cranny.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks liljake82,
I'll make sure to resist the urge to go and shoot, but clean instead. I have to pull pins to mount a Tacstar, so might as well do the chores while I'm there. A 590 breaks down similar to a 500a?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.