Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your stack height is low. Is it a tested load? If so, did you substitute wads from a tested load? A few grains of uncooked rice will fix it but answer the other 2 questions first...
It is a recipe form the Alliant site. This is the first time that I have used the press. 17 grains of red dot, W209 primer, WAA12 wad, AA hull.
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Bowl, First of all know that it is all going to be fine.

That load recipe should be resulting in perfect crimps, so if powder weight, shot weight and wad have been confirmed then I vote for a crushed wad, but with that hole and dishing, it would be quite a lot of crushing going on.

Put the machine in single stage mode.

The cam screw should be in the middle of the adjustment slot.

The wad pressure indicator should just wiggle when the handle is full down - Make sure the handle is going full down (search this forum if needed). Adjust the wad pressure indicator so it just wiggles on bottom of stroke.

Adjust pre-crimp at Station 4 as mentioned so the hole will just barely hold a primer, or about the size of a pencil

Adjust the punch in Station 5. It looks to me like there is maybe a little too much depth in the current punch setting.

At this point the crimp should look pretty good. Adjust the cam if necessary - If there is a little hole adjust down, or the opposite is swirls needing to move the cam up. Cam adjustments should be very small increments.

Keep us posted!
Thank you so much! I loaded about 25 today and made some adjustments as I moved along, the hole did tighten up. However, a few crimps look perfect but most look ugly. I will go back tomorrow and follow your suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Agreed.

A typical trap shooter loading 4000-6000 practice shells per year can't be bothered with over the shot cards, adding cheerios or rice, or whatever suggestions may have been offered.

Now, if you're only loading a couple of boxes for hunting loads, and you can't get your loader or the hulls to cooperate, then some of those suggestions might be helpful. YMMV
I am planning on loading about 3000-4000 a year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It could be several things. 1. All shotshell cases are not the same length. 2. I have found on 3 different brands of machines that closing the center hole crimp is always 95 % the pre crimper not bringing the entire outer part of the shell to touching in the center before it reaches the final stage. 3. Winchester AA comes in 2 different lengths if you adjust for the shorter length it will usually work for the longer. 4. I have found that the amount of powder or lead makes little difference to the crimp, if it is over loaded crimp will still closed and look good but crushing the shell in the middle if it is stuffed to tight. If it is under packed it will push the crump in to a concave looking finish. 5. the final recess depth is achieved by adjusting the next stage by adjusting it downward into the shell, your MEC has a bolt coming out the top with a slot cut in for a straight blade screw driver.
Great information. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Update. I have not shot the pattering board but I did shoot 50 of my reloads this week and they seemed to work great. I was concerned with the powder drops. I am using the 30 MEC bushing and the scale showed that the powder was 16.1-17.1. The chart states 17.8. I ordered some larger bushings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The chart is just a starting point.To get you close. That one grain variation is a lot. How are you coming up with that? Weighing the hull without powder then with? Dumping the powder into a scale pan? Some other method?
Some powders take a few shells to settle down. One time and one time only. I will weigh every fifth shell for twenty five shells. That will establish What bushing #30( for example) averages with powder XYZ . Shows' me how many drops XYZ powder needs to settle down.( if any) I don't do this again until changing lot numbers of powder.
I am using a grain scale and dumping the powder on the scale pan I measured 5 in a row

1 - 13 of 13 Posts