Shotgun Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Lately I noticed many of my AAHS hulls would vary widely in the quality of the crimp. STS and NITRO27's loaded just fine. Did some measuring and found the Remington hulls were 2.72" to 2.67" in length, longest once fired AAHS was 2.61"......... and the variation between numerous was as much as .045"........ makes a heck of a difference in final crimp...... Larry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Agreed.

A typical trap shooter loading 4000-6000 practice shells per year can't be bothered with over the shot cards, adding cheerios or rice, or whatever suggestions may have been offered.

Now, if you're only loading a couple of boxes for hunting loads, and you can't get your loader or the hulls to cooperate, then some of those suggestions might be helpful. YMMV
I am planning on loading about 3000-4000 a year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It could be several things. 1. All shotshell cases are not the same length. 2. I have found on 3 different brands of machines that closing the center hole crimp is always 95 % the pre crimper not bringing the entire outer part of the shell to touching in the center before it reaches the final stage. 3. Winchester AA comes in 2 different lengths if you adjust for the shorter length it will usually work for the longer. 4. I have found that the amount of powder or lead makes little difference to the crimp, if it is over loaded crimp will still closed and look good but crushing the shell in the middle if it is stuffed to tight. If it is under packed it will push the crump in to a concave looking finish. 5. the final recess depth is achieved by adjusting the next stage by adjusting it downward into the shell, your MEC has a bolt coming out the top with a slot cut in for a straight blade screw driver.
Great information. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Update. I have not shot the pattering board but I did shoot 50 of my reloads this week and they seemed to work great. I was concerned with the powder drops. I am using the 30 MEC bushing and the scale showed that the powder was 16.1-17.1. The chart states 17.8. I ordered some larger bushings.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
As we reload shotgun or rifle we rely on certain published data for reference and for a beginning point. Keep in mind that things change over time.......When referencing load data and stack height as far as I know the data I look at for 12ga is all based on a 2.75" hull length. Things change a lot when a hull only measures 2.620" like the one I just measured. Larry

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I am using the 30 MEC bushing and the scale showed that the powder was 16.1-17.1. The chart states 17.8. I ordered some larger bushings.
The chart is just a starting point.To get you close. That one grain variation is a lot. How are you coming up with that? Weighing the hull without powder then with? Dumping the powder into a scale pan? Some other method?
Some powders take a few shells to settle down. One time and one time only. I will weigh every fifth shell for twenty five shells. That will establish What bushing #30( for example) averages with powder XYZ . Shows' me how many drops XYZ powder needs to settle down.( if any) I don't do this again until changing lot numbers of powder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The chart is just a starting point.To get you close. That one grain variation is a lot. How are you coming up with that? Weighing the hull without powder then with? Dumping the powder into a scale pan? Some other method?
Some powders take a few shells to settle down. One time and one time only. I will weigh every fifth shell for twenty five shells. That will establish What bushing #30( for example) averages with powder XYZ . Shows' me how many drops XYZ powder needs to settle down.( if any) I don't do this again until changing lot numbers of powder.
I am using a grain scale and dumping the powder on the scale pan I measured 5 in a row

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have a question. The shells that are now looking really good, when you shake them do you hear shot rattling? They almost look like what i call a faux crimp, where you can use the adjustments to get a nice crimp but it isn't actually putting pressure on your shot to hold everything in place.

16.1-17.1 is a large swing for red dot, ive not seen a press be off by that much before. Usually its only 0.2 deviation or so. For 1 1/8oz and AA wads with medium primer youll want to be around 18gr anyways, that will help a little with stack height also.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Update. I have not shot the pattering board but I did shoot 50 of my reloads this week and they seemed to work great. I was concerned with the powder drops. I am using the 30 MEC bushing and the scale showed that the powder was 16.1-17.1. The chart states 17.8. I ordered some larger bushings.
As mentioned, charts are starting points. I just recently used a chart for initial selection, but ended up two bushings away. to get the recipe powder weight.

My recommendation if you are shooting sporting clays is shoot the pattern board with Modified choke at 40 yards.

All the best.!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Watch the screw head on the charge bar as you cycle the press. It MUST be making a full cycle from one end of it's slot completely to the other end. Stopping short can cause light charges.

Cycle press with consistent pulls and not jerking handle or hesitating on the pulls. As BBK states, that (1.0 grain) is a wide weight swing for a press that is being run consistently.

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
121 Posts
On my Mec, I need to have zero wad pressure. . The final crimp actually provides enough pressure for the wad without over compression .

lowering the pre crimp may help if you still ave that hole in the crimp after you reduce wad pressure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The stack height may be adequate.

Adjustments are easier to come by than different components.

1) there isn't enough plastic to meet in the middle.

2 load one and watch the wad pressure gauge. If it moves, adjust the wad pressure to near zero ... just the tiniest amount of movement is all that's needed ; just enough to insure the wad is touching the powder.
3) adjust the pre-crimp die down to gather more plastic...an opening the diameter of a pencil is a good place to start.
4) your crimp appears plenty deep enough ... perhaps too deep. You can back off on the crimp punch until the crimp is just crisply defined and about the thickness of a dime or a bit less. Punching too deeply can pull plastic away from the center. As long as the crimp is flat or slightly depressed, you've enough.

With adjustments you can cover the entire range of a swirled center to a hole that lets shot escape.

You can do all that in a pleasant, educational half hour.
Sorry, just saw this after I posted . This is a superb response .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Food Ingredient Recipe Alloy wheel Cuisine

I hope I’m not hijacking, but can anyone tell me how these crimps look? I am using a set of crimping tools that I bought from Italy that are chucked to my drill press. I can’t seem to completely eliminate the center hole, but does it look acceptable? I am using euro hulls and the crimp memory seems to be very poor. I basically have the precrimp maxed out, if I go any lower the hull will buckle.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
^^ 28 ga? The crimps look a bit too deep, see of you can raise the crimp depth a bit. If the hole will not let shot leak, I would not worry about them. But crimp depth has an impact on pressure; deeper crimps = more chamber pressure.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
View attachment 56492
I hope I’m not hijacking, but can anyone tell me how these crimps look? I am using a set of crimping tools that I bought from Italy that are chucked to my drill press. I can’t seem to completely eliminate the center hole, but does it look acceptable? I am using euro hulls and the crimp memory seems to be very poor. I basically have the precrimp maxed out, if I go any lower the hull will buckle.
Throw a cardboard OS card in there and dont worry about it. I cut my own with a punch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The hole isn't big enough for any shot to leak out, and that's 8.5 shot. I guess it's just my OCD lol.

There is some depth to the crimp which was somewhat purposeful on my part. The final crimper is a rotating head that gives it a rolled edge, like the GAEP one but this one wasn't from GAEP. I had planned to get these tested just to be safe, but I am able to back off on it too if not.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts