Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Find your way into Control Panel. Double click on "sounds and audio devices", click on the "sounds" tab and you see a list of dozens of events in Windows which have or may have a (usually annoying) sound associated. Find the event concerned, select it, and using the drop down list pick "none".

If you want all sounds off pick the drop down list under "sound scheme" and select "none".

Gotta love Microsoft - such great taste.....

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
We've asked the company that rents that space from us to turn that off. Hopefully we'll get an answer shortly.

Jay and I don't like it any better than you guys do.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not a Microsoft 'feature'

JLP - Here is something to speed the Company's thoughts and actions.

1. I would never buy an Autolite product because of this bad advert.

2.I will not visit SGW for a week, if it is still there I will be gone.

I am rather surpised that Jay, SGW would let this happen without it being under their control - yuo nee to control your advertiser - what if that sound were vulgar or profane ?

Roger

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Lighten up Roger... give them a little time to fix it. I'm sure that ad brings in a lot of revenue, and for all that this site gives us, I'm willing to just turn my sound down until it's fixed.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
aiken said:
turn the speaker off
That is an option, but not a very good one. I like to use my 'puter as a radio, and listen to music while I am surfing. Now I have to turn the sound off every time I visit SGW and turn it back up when l leave.

Really p)$$e$ me off.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Roger,
Since I don't surf the web with a speaker on I had know idea that it was happening.

We do not control the advertisers of that space. That space is rented, just like a billboard. In the agreement there is language discussing what can and cannot be posted but music is not covered. Most companies try to associate their name with a sound, just ask AT&T, Sprint, Nyquil, Jared Jewelers and such, so they're doing the same thing. It's just not very likeable. But you know what it is when it plays, so I guess it works.

Until we get an answer from the advertiser I would suggest surfing the web with your speaker off or get a flash blocker (suggested anyway as good surfing security).

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Snowbound said:
Just never close SGW.
Huh?

That doesn't help.

I'm getting that noise almost every time I go from one post to another.

1. Look at the index, get a noise.
2. Cuss Autolite.
3. Go to a forum, get a noise.
4. Cuss Jay.
5. Go to a post on that forum, get a noise.
6. Cuss SGW.
7. Go back to the forum index, get a noise.
8. Yell and bang on the desk.
9. Mark all posts in the forum as read, get a noise.
10. Kick the 'puter, spit on the monitor.
11. Go back to the main index, get a noise.
12. Shoot the da#ned 'puter.
13. Tell screaming wife not to call 911, its just you.
14. Try to convince wife you're not going to shoot her, too!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Seamus,
Something is jacked up with your computer.

I generally get the music on the websites splash page then when I go to the forums it goes away.

What browser/AV/Anti Spyware and Adware software do you use?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Internet Explorer 7.0, Norton AntiVirus, Spybot, AdAware.

I don't know nothin' 'bout no security settin's, I just surf the net.

I get the noise every time the Autolite as comes up, which is very often now - sometimes a half-dozen mouse strokes in a row.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I only get the tone when I first log in.
It's just not that big a deal but it was a surprise at first.
It sounds though that some people , especially Seamus have other issues associated with it.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Musket,
What do you use for blockers?
I use Trend Micro and only get it when I first get on SGW. After I move to the forums it's gone.

·
Registered
561 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
Musket,
I use Trend Micro and only get it when I first get on SGW. After I move to the forums it's gone.
jlp

I use Norton Internet Security 8's blocker. There's also some interaction with Internet Explorer 7.
All in all very nice when matched to Windows Vista.
Ditto, I have the same interaction as you. In fact the only way I have been able to get the tone/chime to come up again is to exit SGW and my browser, and then come back in again.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
Umm......What's a blocker?

I shouldn't have to buy and install software just to stop that nuisance!

Actually, I don't mind buying it so much, its the installing part that worries me..................

1 - 20 of 29 Posts